Summation

KindofSlow

y=1/(x^2 + 1) find area under curve from -1 to 1 using summation formula (there are 8 rectangles under the curve).
Got all the way to sum from 1 to 8 of 4/(i^2-8i+32) and now can't figure out how to do sum with non-factorable quadratic in the denominator.
Thanks for any guidance.

KindofSlow said:
y=1/(x^2 + 1) find area under curve from -1 to 1 using summation formula (there are 8 rectangles under the curve).
Got all the way to sum from 1 to 8 of 4/(i^2-8i+32) and now can't figure out how to do sum with non-factorable quadratic in the denominator.
Thanks for any guidance.
Sorry, but I am having difficulty understanding your work and your hang-up. Can we take this from the start?

What is the width of your ith rectangle?
What is the height of that rectangle?
So the area of the ith rectangle is?

Is this a Riemann sum?.

Which method to use?.

The right endpoint method?.

The width of each rectangle is \(\displaystyle \frac{1-(-1)}{8}=\frac{1}{4}\)

How high is the rectangle at each right endpoint?.

The far left rectangle has its right side at -3/4, then -1/2, -1/4, 0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1

Enter these values in \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^{2}+1}\), add them up and multiply by 1/4.

Supposed to use A = Sum (from 1 to n) of f(a + ((b-a)i)/n)*(b-a)/n
f(1/(x^2+1)) when x = -1+i/4
so need 4 * sum from 1 to 8 of 1/(i^2-8i+32)

Thank you

This is a Riemann right endpoint method:

You have the same thing.

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\sum_{i=1}^{8}\frac{1}{\left(-1+\frac{i}{4}\right)^{2}+1}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\left(\frac{1}{(-1+\frac{1}{4})^{2}+1}+................+\frac{1}{(-1+\frac{8}{8})^{2}+1}\right)=?????\)

Now, just sum it up using 1 through 8. You should get the same as the other method I outlined in the previous post.

KindofSlow said:
Supposed to use A = Sum (from 1 to n) of f(a + ((b-a)i)/n)*(b-a)/n
f(1/(x^2+1)) when x = -1+i/4
so need 4 * sum from 1 to 8 of 1/(i^2-8i+32)
Wow

As galactus has already pointed out (b - a) / n = [1 - (- 1)] / 8 = 2/8 = 1/4 so the 4 is wrong.
Now the whole point of a Riemann sum is to add up a whole lot of smaller areas. So let's just try calculating the area of one rectangle, say rectangle 1.

Width of each rectangle = (b - a) / n = 1/4 as already discussed.
Height of rectangle 1 = f{a + [(b - a)i/n]} = f[- 1 + (2 * 1 / 8)] = f[-1 + (1/4)] = f(-3/4) = 1 / [(-3/4)[sup:3gxqu4fq]2[/sup:3gxqu4fq] + 1] = 1 / [(9 / 16) + 1] = 1 /(25/16) = 16/25.
Area of rectangle 1 = (16/25) * (1/4) = 4/25.

Now you do that arithmetic seven more times, add the eight areas up, and you have your approximation. It takes almost no time with a spreadsheet and very little time with a hand calculator.

That is the method suggested by galactus, and it works like a charm. But it does not utilize a closed form; you actually have to do the arithmetic.

Whoops, galactus beat me to it