Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Features In vBulletin

#8 is blank

The new MathJax installation has changed the way we view or copy LaTex code. The prior tip here was consolidated into the first post.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 11-16-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: MathJax installation; Chrome bug fixed

If you preview a post and discover that one of your LaTex expressions renders with added garbage having to do with color codes, "px", "oversized image" or other nonsense, and you're unable to find coding errors, it may be that you had changed the text color in the vicinity to something other than "Automatic".

In other words, if you're typing in blue, for example, and you insert a LaTex line, that coding will also appear blue, as you're typing it. I've discovered that subsequently changing such typing and/or colors, by adding a blank line for vertical spacing, or by choosing "Black" versus "Automatic" leaves the coding in the composition window normal looking, yet it does not properly render upon posting.

If you see this type of garbage in your LaTex expression, go back and highlight everything that should appear black, and then change the color to "Automatic".

This solution has worked for me, twice so far.

The next time I encounter this issue, I will upload a screenshot here.

EDIT: Oops, this isn't a feature; I should have put this post into the "Notes about vBulletin" thread, instead. Oh, well.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 08-14-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added additional garbage examples; replaced incorrect thread name

The composition window is re-sizeable! This is very useful, if you're trying to drag some element to a section of your compsition that's outside the area that you can see.

Click and drag the re-sizing icon, at the lower righthand corner. Your re-sized composition window will stay fixed, even through future posts, until you change it again.

(Click thumbnail below, to see the re-sizing icon.)

junk.jpg

Administrator
    Here's a neat feature I'm starting to work on -- I want common math terms to link to a lesson or definition page on the site. The program will automatically parse every post and pick out the words I've told it to automatically link, such as demonstrated in post 3 here: http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/71490-Fraction-Manipulation-and-Substitution-problem

Don't worry, it will only pick the first instance of the word in a post, and I think I set it for the first two instances in an entire thread. There will probably be some weird circumstances where the linked word doesn't quite work (like somebody quoting Seinfeld and saying "Master of my domain" when it shouldn't really be linked to the math term!). But we'll see how it works, and I'll try to expand the vocabulary as well.

That's a nifty board feature, Ted. I tend to type defining phrases, in my posts, because I often assume from what I'm reading that posters here (in general) don't understand much math terminology. Once I start to learn the vocabulary, this auto-linking feature will reduce some of the wordiness in my explanations.

I'm feeling somewhat sheepish because I have never looked at much of the rest of the site here, outside of the boards. I will be looking now.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 08-12-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Deleted dumb joke about "domain" link

Administrator
    i'llmake up a list of automatically linked words so you guys can reference it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post

it will only pick the first instance of the word in a post, and I think I set it for the first two instances in an entire thread.
    Yes, this is how it's working.

It would be nice if there were some way (eg: tags) for us to temporarily suppress the auto-linking of certain instances of words within our posts.

For example, after previewing a post, I would like to suppress the first instance of the word "m e a n" in the following sentence, so that only the second instance gets auto-linked instead:

What I mean is that the mean is only one measure of central tendency.

Oh! I just thought of one way (using LaTex), but the result looks kinda funky.

What I [TEX]\text{mean}[/TEX] is that the mean is only one measure of central tendency.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 08-13-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Forcing auto-linking to display what I "m e a n"

Some people might have noticed that when you click the [Reply With Quote] button, vBulletin does not by default include any quoted material in the post that's being quoted (i.e., no quotes within quotes by default).

If you want the quotes in the post which you are quoting to appear in your post, click the "Multi-Quote This Message" icon before clicking the [Reply With Quote] button. This icon is located directly to the right of the button, as seen in the screenshots below.

Activating this feature will cause the entire post to be quoted, including all quotes quoted.

The "Multi-Quote This Message" icon changes appearance, to indicate with a check mark when it's active.

j1.JPG

j2.JPG

This feature no longer works, for me. (July 2012)
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 07-12-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Multi-quote seems broken

Anybody who posts on bulletin boards knows that sometimes a submission gets "hung up" during the posting process, often with a resulting loss of typing.

Thankfully, vBulletin has an auto-save feature. You may have noticed the yellow "Auto-Saved" flag fading in and out periodically toward the bottom right corner of the composition window, while typing.

So, how does one recover what's been saved? I have not checked the FAQ yet, for any details, but I just discovered one way after loosing 45 minutes worth of typing subsequent to being unknowingly logged off by the system.

Of course, I was trying to refresh the page and other things to try get back my typing. All I could see, however, was a blank composition window. At some point, though, I noticed a link for recovery (Restore Auto-Saved Content) located toward the bottom left of the composition window. That is, directly across (to the left) from where the yellow flag fades in and out.

junk.JPG

So, look for that link in times when you need it. Or, check the FAQ before I do.

I'll add more details, if I find any, once I've had a chance to read the FAQ info.
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 07-12-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Fixed grammatical error; added last sentence; added screenshot; deleted MS jab

When you want to show in your post the exact typing needed to display something in LaTex, or exactly what needs to be typed to activate some other BBC feature (bulletin-board code), then the [noparse] and [/noparse] tags can be used to prevent your typing from being processed by the system.

Here is an example. I want to illustrate for somebody the entire LaTex-code texting for rendering the rational expression x^2/(x + 1).

Hey, somebody, the LaTex code for this algebraic fraction looks like this: [tex]\frac{x^2}{x + 1}[/tex].
    In the line above, vBulletin did not render the LaTex code as [TEX]\frac{x^2}{x + 1}[/TEX] because I enclosed the string "[TEX]\frac{x^2}{x + 1}[/TEX]" within [noparse] and [/noparse] tags.

In other words, the following is the string that I typed in my post.

[noparse][TEX]\frac{x^2}{x + 1}[/TEX][/noparse]

NOTE: The noparse feature no longer affects TeX coding, as you can see above, likely due to the new MathJax installation. Hence, the information above is no longer valid for the example given. Put spaces around the brackets to text the tex in your posts:

[ tex ]\frac{x^2}(x + 1}[ /tex ]

Otherwise, noparse seems to be working for everything else.

(June 2012)
    Last edited by mmm4444bot; 07-08-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: MathJax installation