weighted averages

haileynicole

i need help asap! i have tried my homework problem and i cant get it here is the quesion.: A specialty coffee store wants to create a special mix using two coffies, one priced at $6.40 per pounnd and the other priced at $7.28 per pound.How many pounds of the $7.28 coffee should be mixed with 9 pounds of the $6.40 coffee to sell the mixture for $6.95 per pound?. now that i have that i wrote an equation which is : 9 (6.40)+7.28p= 6.95(9+p) now that i have the equation, i dont know how to solve it. could you help me soon? thanks
~hailey~

i need help asap! i have tried my homework problem and i cant get it here is the quesion.: A specialty coffee store wants to create a special mix using two coffies, one priced at $6.40 per pounnd and the other priced at $7.28 per pound.How many pounds of the $7.28 coffee should be mixed with 9 pounds of the $6.40 coffee to sell the mixture for $6.95 per pound?. now that i have that i wrote an equation which is : 9 (6.40)+7.28p= 6.95(9+p) now that i have the equation, i dont know how to solve it. could you help me soon? thanks
~hailey~

Your equation is correct.

To solve, I would FIRST use the distributive property to get rid of the parentheses on the right side, and do the arithmetic....

9*6.40 + 7.28p = 6.95*9 + 6.95p
57.6 + 7.28p = 62.55 + 6.95p

Now...can you take it from here?

thanks

thank you so much but i have another question do you think you could help me get started? an alloy of metals is 25% copper. another alloy is 50% copper. How much of each should be used to make 1000 grams of an alloy that is 45% copper?