Slope Word Problem

coughsyrup78

Hello, I'm an adult learner taking a Beginning Algebra class at a community college.

I have a question about this word problem:

The longest run at Ski Dubai, an indoor ski resort in the Middle East, has a vertical drop of about 60 m with a horizontal distance of about 395 m. What is the slope of this ski run?

My answer is:

-60 =

But the book says the answer is:

What gives?

First, there is not a good answer this question. The ski run may be steeper in some sections and less steep in others. The question should be asking for the AVERAGE slope of the ski run.

Second, it can be a bit tricky knowing when to treat something as positive or negative when there is no obvious reference. For this reason, the slope may be correctly stated as positive or negative, depending on your point of view. Obviously, you took the skier's eye (negative or down hill) and the book took the eye of someone sitting in a lodge at the bottom (positive or up hill). The sign is of no consequence.

Third, Slope = Rise/Run = (vertical displacement)/(horizontal displacement) = 60/395. What gives? The book is incorrect, either in the problem statement or in the answer section. They can't both be right.

Last edited:
I think the book is wrong too. I just didn't want to say anything for fear of putting my foot in my mouth.

The book is called "Beginning Algebra by Sherri Messersmith". It's a horrible book. My teacher hates it too.