Thread: Math Problem

Math Problem

Please solve the following question:

A state employee drove from Lake Charles to a conference in Baton Rouge. A total distance from the round trip was 240 miles. The time required to travel one way to Baton Rouge was two hours. Due to heavy traffic during the return trip to Lake Charles, an extra hour was required. How much slower was the state employee traveling on the return trip.

I have the answer but do not how it was derived. I would like a breakdown of the answer.

Thank you for your most kind assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwms43 View Post
    Please solve the following question:

A state employee drove from Lake Charles to a conference in Baton Rouge. A total distance from the round trip was 240 miles. The time required to travel one way to Baton Rouge was two hours. Due to heavy traffic during the return trip to Lake Charles, an extra hour was required. How much slower was the state employee traveling on the return trip.

I have the answer but do not how it was derived. I would like a breakdown of the answer.

Thank you for your most kind assistance.
    Apply the "distance = rate * time" formula to each scenario in order to derive the rates for each one way trip, then look at the differences in the rates to get your answer.

I'll help you with the trip from Lake Charles to Baton Rouge: rate = distance/time, thus rate = 120 miles/2 hours or 60mph.

Now your turn...
    "There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't."

Thanks a million, I got it.

120 miles/3 hrs or 40 mph, then subtract 40 mph from 60 mph, gives the answer of 20 mph slower.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwms43 View Post
    Thanks a million, I got it.

120 miles/3 hrs or 40 mph, then subtract 40 mph from 60 mph, gives the answer of 20 mph slower.
    Si, senor.
    "There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't."

Another Math PRoblem

The estimated completion time for a particular 100 item test is 3 1/3 hours. Ten applicants actually took the test and completed it in 3 hours. What is the difference between the actual and estimated rate of completion per item?