Thread: Good college algebra textbook?

Good college algebra textbook?

Please note: I considered posting this in the Algebra 1 + 2 forum, but that seems dedicated to questions about specific problems and I didn't want to clutter it up, so I thought I would ask here: Can anyone recommend a good "college algebra" textbook, preferably something that can be found used for cheap on the Amazon marketplace? I'm finding that a lot of the errors I make while working through my calculus textbook are based on either not remembering or never being taught certain rules of how to solve algebraic equations, and I think a textbook for reference use would be very helpful in fixing this.

Any suggestions?

Elite Member
    "Calculus made easy", by Martin Gardner; probably available at your local library...
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

Any other suggestions? Based on the reviews that's not quite what I'm looking for.

Elite Member
    Suggest you conduct your own "review" ... get my drift?
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Geologist View Post
    Please note: I considered posting this in the Algebra 1 + 2 forum, but that seems dedicated to questions about specific problems and I didn't want to clutter it up, so I thought I would ask here: Can anyone recommend a good "college algebra" textbook, preferably something that can be found used for cheap on the Amazon marketplace? I'm finding that a lot of the errors I make while working through my calculus textbook are based on either not remembering or never being taught certain rules of how to solve algebraic equations, and I think a textbook for reference use would be very helpful in fixing this.
    There hundreds of College Algebra available on the used book list at Amazon.
    I would suggest picking one written in the 1970's or 80's.
    Because of the lack of use of technology, you get a better actual working knowledge of the basics.
    Here is a good one, Any one by that author will be good.
    “A professor is someone who talks in someone else’s sleep”
    W.H. Auden

Elite Member
    I found that "College Algebra" - Spiegel - Schaum Outline Series to be useful as reference book.
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

I did some digging on Amazon and settled on the fourth edition of Blitzer's "College Algebra". It seems to be what I'm looking for: Plenty of tough examples with detailed instructions on how to complete problems, the rules behind them, and all that other good stuff. Not to mention, I find it hard to argue with a one cent textbook! I'll also take a look at "Calculus Made Easy" I can find it at the library or get a chance to stop by a book store when I'm out of town. (No book stores in town.) Thanks for all the advice.