Thread: uniform motion

uniform motion

I don't quite understand a few problems....
    One is on uniform motion.
    the problem is : The wanderers were 300 miles apart at 1 pm and were headed toward each other. If ethey met at 6 pm and one is traveling 20 miles per hour faster than the other, what was the speed of each wanderer?
    Can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by lkn View Post
    the problem is : The wanderers were 300 miles apart at 1 pm and were headed toward each other. If ethey met at 6 pm and one is traveling 20 miles per hour faster than the other, what was the speed of each wanderer?
    Can you help?
    Let's start with this:

Person A travels x mph
    Person B travels x + 20 mph

Use the fact that d=r*t and the fact that after the 5 hours time, the sum the distances traveled by each must be 300 miles.

Now try and take it from here...
    "There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't."

Is the equation that i use R1 x T1+R2 x T2 or is it that they equal each other(R1 x T1= R2 x T2)?

Elite Member
    Is the equation that i use R1 x T1+R2 x T2 or is it that they equal each other(R1 x T1= R2 x T2)?
    Sorry, but your question makes no sense.
    If you can't follow srmichael's hint, then you're not ready for this.
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

Elite Member
    That is not an equation. There is no "=" sign.

Here the point for you to understand is the "time" travelled by each traveller are equal to each other (5 hours).

The sum of the distances travelled by each traveller is 300 miles.

You have to derive the equations to be solved from these two given conditions - along with "one is traveling 20 miles per hour faster than the other".
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

Elite Member
    f = speed of faster wanderer F; so f-20 = speed of slowpoke S

F(@ f).............d............>[5 hours]<.........300 - d.........(@ f-20)S

Go man go!
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

Elite Member
    the problem is : The wanderers were 300 miles apart at 1 pm and were headed toward each other. If ethey met at 6 pm
    So they traveled 300 miles in 5 hours. What was their total speed toward each other?

and one is traveling 20 miles per hour faster than the other, what was the speed of each wanderer?
    Can you help?
    Call the speed of the slower one "v". Then the speed of the other was v+ 20. There total speed was v+ (v+ 20)= 2v+ 20. Set that equal to the total speed you got before and solve for v. Don't forget that your answer must give two speeds.