Word problem help

CharlieHorse

Please explain the steps super clearly. I care more about how to get there then about the answer.

1. Maud can paint a certain room in about 5 hours, and Alicia can paint the same room in about 4 hours. Approximately how many hours would it take Maud and Alicia to paint that room if they work together?

2. Mario paddle his canoe upstream for 3 hours. When he turned around and paddled back to his starting point, it took him only 1 hour. If the river flows at a speed of 3 mph, how fast could Mario paddle his canoe in still water?

I care more about how to get there [than] the answer.

Learning the "how" comes from trying yourself. When people are given the steps, they often tend to forget the steps. Understanding the reasoning behind the steps leads to retention.

The first exercise is a work-type problem. We set-up an equation by considering the fractional amount of work done per hour. Here is a lesson. Please let us know about any parts in the lesson that you do not understand; otherwise, try to apply the strategy to your own exercise.

For help starting the second exercise, please read my response in this thread. Please ask specific questions going forward on this one, too.

Cheers ~ Mark :cool:

Here's a major hint- think about rates. What are Maude and Alicias rates of work? How fast are they working in "rooms per hour"?

If Mario could paddle in still water at "v" miles per hour, how fast can he paddle upstream, against the current? How fast can he paddle downstream with the current?

Your teacher wrote that? :shock:
"1. Maud can paint a certain room in about 5 hours, and Alicia can paint the same room in about 4 hours. Approximately how many hours would it take Maud and Alicia to paint that room if they work together?"

The problem says "approximately". It's not that bad.