Quadratic equation with parameter

mathwannabe

Hello everybody :D

Since I have no way to check my answer, I am hoping my favorite forum will jump in and help me out :)

1) Set of all values of the real parameter \(\displaystyle m\) for which the roots of the quadratic equation \(\displaystyle (m-2)x^2-2mx+2m+2=0\) are real and with different signs is?

So, here is how I did it:

In order for the equation to have two solutions and for them to be real, \(\displaystyle D>0\).

\(\displaystyle D=4m^2-8(m-2)=4m^2-8m-16=m^2-2m-4\)

\(\displaystyle m^2-2-4>0\)

\(\displaystyle m<1-\sqrt{5}\) ^ \(\displaystyle m>1+\sqrt{5}\)

Also, for the the roots to have different signs, it must be that \(\displaystyle x1(x2)<0\)

\(\displaystyle x1(x2)=\dfrac{2m+2}{m-2}\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{2m+2}{m-2}<0\)

\(\displaystyle -1<m<2\)

My answer is empty set. There is no such m.

hello everybody :d

since i have no way to check my answer, i am hoping my favorite forum will jump in and help me out :)

1) set of all values of the real parameter \(\displaystyle m\) for which the roots of the quadratic equation \(\displaystyle (m-2)x^2-2mx+2m+2=0\) are real and with different signs is?

So, here is how i did it:

In order for the equation to have two solutions and for them to be real, \(\displaystyle d>0\).

\(\displaystyle d=4m^2-8(m-2)=4m^2-8m-16=m^2-2m-4\) <<<<<<<<<< mistake

\(\displaystyle m^2-2-4>0\)

\(\displaystyle m<1-\sqrt{5}\) ^ \(\displaystyle m>1+\sqrt{5}\)

also, for the the roots to have different signs, it must be that \(\displaystyle x1(x2)<0\)

\(\displaystyle -1<m<2\)

my answer is empty set. There is no such m.

i saw the mistake... Nevermind the answer

Hello everybody :D

Since I have no way to check my answer, I am hoping my favorite forum will jump in and help me out :)

>>>>FIXED<<<<

1) Set of all values of the real parameter \(\displaystyle m\) for which the roots of the quadratic equation \(\displaystyle (m-2)x^2-2mx+2m+2=0\) are real and with different signs is?

So, here is how I did it:

In order for the equation to have two solutions and for them to be real, \(\displaystyle D>0\).

\(\displaystyle D=4m^2-4(m-2)(2m+2)=-4m^2+8m+16\)

\(\displaystyle -m^2+2m+4>0\)

\(\displaystyle 1-\sqrt{5}<m<1+\sqrt{5}\)

Also, for the the roots to have different signs, it must be that \(\displaystyle x1(x2)<0\)

\(\displaystyle -1<m<2\)

My answer is : \(\displaystyle -1<m<2\).

This is a fixed answer :)