Names of numbers/letters in mathematics

IBstudent

I feel dumb asking this, but what are the names of the different numbers in mathematics...

For example.... in 3x^2 + 6x + 4

What do you call the 3 and 6 bits, the letters that come before a number...

Also, the x... I know its called the unknown, but is there a special name for it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question... but I need to know...

Thanks in advance

I feel dumb asking this, but what are the names of the different numbers in mathematics...

Also, the x... I know its called the unknown, but is there a special name for it.

Thanks in advance

The numbers are called the coefficients and the letters are called the variables.

Btw, as the old saying goes, there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. ;)

Thanks in advance

x is called a variable. When a variable like x is being multiplied by something else, that something else is called a coefficient. The 3 and the 6 are coefficients in this expression.

In the polynomial \(\displaystyle P(x)=\alpha_nx^n+\alpha_{n-1}x^{n-1}+\cdots+\alpha_1x+\alpha_0\) the \(\displaystyle x's\) are called variables and the \(\displaystyle \alpha_k\) are called coefficients.

Also, in your example, "4" is known as the "constant term."

Edit:

What do you call the 3 and 6 bits, the >> letters << that come before a >> number <<...

You must interchange these two words.

Last edited: