Translating Algebraic Expressions?

Lashae

Okay so, I'm really confused. I don't know what the question is asking me to do... One of them is says "Fifteen times a number is decreased by fifteen. This result is then increased by two times the number. The result is negative 5 times the original number minus the opposite of ten" I'm so lost! Help please :confused:

The problem is worded poorly imo. An equivalent but slightly better wording would be: "Fifteen times a number is decreased by fifteen and then increased by two times the number. The result is negative 5 times the original number minus the additive inverse of ten"

Read from left to right and whenever you get to a word that can be converted into a math symbol do so and what do you get?

Start by giving a "name", like "n", or "a", or "x" to the number. If, for example, you call the number "x", something like "five times a number, increased by 7" would be 5x+ 7. Do you se why? "5x" means "five times x" and +7, adding 7, increases the result by that much. Can you do that with the numbers your problem gives?

Okay so, I'm really confused. I don't know what the question is asking me to do... One of them is says "Fifteen times a number is decreased by fifteen. This result is then increased by two times the number. The result is negative 5 times the original number minus the opposite of ten" I'm so lost! Help please :confused:

what's the opposite of 10?? 01? or -10?