I have a question that i would like some help with. its a word problem

bridgetdowling

An airport limousine travels south I 75 from Atlanta airport in Atlanta at the rate of 50 miles per hour A private car following the same route travels at the rate of 55 miles per hour. the limousine leaves Atlanta airport at 5:30 pm and the private car leaves at 5:45pm. At what time will the car overtake the limousine? how far have they traveled?

An airport limousine travels south I 75 from Atlanta airport in Atlanta at the rate of 50 miles per hour A private car following the same route travels at the rate of 55 miles per hour. the limousine leaves Atlanta airport at 5:30 pm and the private car leaves at 5:45pm. At what time will the car overtake the limousine? how far have they traveled?

Please read "Read Before Posting" rules here:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/54004-Read-Before-Posting

You should be stating what you know so that you can be given guidance
as to where you are stuck.

rate*time = distance

Can you fill in any of the following six quantities?

\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ rate \ (in \ m.p.h.) \ \ \ * \ \ time \ (in \ hours) \ \ \ = \ \ distance \ (in \ miles)\)
\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ----------------------------\)

\(\displaystyle limousine\)

\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ----------------------------\)

\(\displaystyle car\)

There are different ways of filling out the chart depending on which
variables/variable expressions you use for the unknowns.

So then the equation you could make to solve the problem could
be different from another equation that uses different expressions,
but would also solve it.