Math and Brain Training Programs

Jason76

Is math a good brain training program? You know, like lifting weights for your mind. It seems like brain training programs are becoming popular.

On a deeper level, is a possible for a mind to get soft? It seems people who use thier brain are sharper.

Is math a good brain training program? You know, like lifting weights for your mind. It seems like brain training programs are becoming popular.

On a deeper level, is a possible for a mind to get soft? It seems people who use thier brain are sharper.
The brain is not a muscle; it does not seem, at least materially, to bulk up with use and atrophy with disuse. It does atrophy with age.

However, logical thinking is not a task that people are particularly good at. It's sort of like a dog walking on its hind legs; it's feasible, but never looks natural. In my opinion, mathematics is the best method of practicing how to think logically and how to extract what is useful from an unorganized mess of information, both very useful skills to have. I do not say that mathematics is the only way to acquire those skills, nor do I say that everyone who is good at mathematics is able to apply those skills in other domains, nor are those the only mental skills useful to have. But I do say (my opinion only of course) that people who learn mathematics learn excellent mental habits that can be applied in many ways.