Can you please help me figure out this math problem?

shayshay

A couple interested in buying a home determines that they can afford a monthly mortgage payment of $800. Can they afford to buy a home with a 30 year, $110,000 mortgage at 8% interest?

A couple interested in buying a home determines that they can afford a monthly mortgage payment of $800. Can they afford to buy a home with a 30 year, $110,000 mortgage at 8% interest?

Hint:

Calculate the monthly payment for the conditions given. What have you been taught about that in your class?

This is the second problem you have posted - without showing a line of work. You have not indicated whether you have solved the first problem or not!!

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

We can help - we only help after you have shown your work - or ask a specific question (not a statement like "Don't know any of these")

Please share your work with us indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

Hello, shayshay!

A couple interested in buying a home determines that they can afford a monthly mortgage payment of $800.
Can they afford to buy a home with a 30-year, $110,000 mortgage at 8% interest?

You need the Amortization Formula:. \(\displaystyle A \;=\; P\dfrac{i(1+i)^n}{(1+i)^n-1}\)
. . where: .\(\displaystyle \begin{Bmatrix}A &=& \text{periodic payment} \\ P &=& \text{principal borrowed} \\ i &=& \text{periodic interest rate} \\ n &=& \text{number of periods} \end{Bmatrix}\)

You have: .\(\displaystyle P = 110,\!000,\;i = \dfrac{0.08}{12},\;n = 360\)
. . Plug in those values.

[The answer is NO: .\(\displaystyle A \:\approx\:\$807.14\)]