Factorising

Sathhin

Hey, this is one other question I wouldn't mind help with if that's alright :)

1) Factorise \(\displaystyle 8x^{2}y^{3}z + 2xyz - 4^{3}yz^{2} \)

I ended up with \(\displaystyle 2xyz\left ( 3xy^{2} - 1 + 2x^{2}z \right ) \)

2) Factorise fully into two brackets \(\displaystyle bx - 4y + by - 4x \)

I swapped the terms around and got \(\displaystyle bx + by - 4y - 4x \)
and finished with \(\displaystyle b\left ( x + y \right ) - 4\left ( y - x \right ) \)

Thanks, hoping I can do the rest off my own back :D

Hey, this is one other question I wouldn't mind help with if that's alright :)

1) Factorise \(\displaystyle 8x^{2}y^{3}z + 2xyz - 4^{3}yz^{2} \) I think this should be \(\displaystyle 8x^{2}y^{3}z + 2xyz - 4x^{3}yz^{2} \)

I ended up with \(\displaystyle 2xyz\left ( 3xy^{2} - 1 + 2x^{2}z \right ) \)Incorrect - This should be \(\displaystyle 2xyz\left ( 4xy^{2} - 1 + 2x^{2}z \right ) \)

2) Factorise fully into two brackets \(\displaystyle bx - 4y + by - 4x \)

I swapped the terms around and got \(\displaystyle bx + by - 4y - 4x \) Correct

and finished with \(\displaystyle b\left ( x + y \right ) - 4\left ( y - x \right ) \).... Incorrect

This should be:

b(x + y) - 4 (x + y)

= (x + y)(b - 4)

Thanks, hoping I can do the rest off my own back :D

We appreciate your showing detailed work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clearing that up, the first one was me doing typos. Sorry for that, I have the same answer as the one you put, just copied it badly here :/

Not sure I understand the second part. Sorry about being a bit dense here but how does the \(\displaystyle 4y - 4x \) become \(\displaystyle 4\left ( x + y\right ) \), Just curious as to how the negative becomes an addition? Think I'm missing something basic here lol

Thanks for clearing that up, the first one was me doing typos. Sorry for that, I have the same answer as the one you put, just copied it badly here :/

Not sure I understand the second part. Sorry about being a bit dense here but how does the \(\displaystyle 4y - 4x \) become \(\displaystyle 4\left ( x + y\right ) \), Just curious as to how the negative becomes an addition? Think I'm missing something basic here lol

It is not \(\displaystyle 4y - 4x \) which translates to \(\displaystyle + 4y - 4x \) and then to \(\displaystyle 4(y - x) \)

It is \(\displaystyle - 4y - 4x \) which translates to \(\displaystyle -4 (y + x) \)