Computing Percent Error in Linear Approximations...

StintedVisions

We went over this section last week and the professor only covered half of it. I've got most of the answers except how to calculate the percent error. The question is:

Use the following function to complete sections a-d.

f(x)= x / x+2 ; a=1; f(1.1)

I've gotten so far as to
a) f(x)~L(x)=(1/3)+(2/9)(x-1)
b) was graphing, I got the graph correct
c) f(1.1)~.356

everything above was correct, however part d) is computing the percent error. The formula is given 100*|(approx-exact)/exact|, I tried to compute it anyway and what I got and what the correct answer was were very different. Can anyone point me in the proper direction?

We went over this section last week and the professor only covered half of it. I've got most of the answers except how to calculate the percent error. The question is:

Use the following function to complete sections a-d.

f(x)= x / x+2 ; a=1; f(1.1)

I've gotten so far as to
a) f(x)~L(x)=(1/3)+(2/9)(x-1)
b) was graphing, I got the graph correct
c) f(1.1)~.356

everything above was correct, however part d) is computing the percent error. The formula is given 100*|(approx-exact)/exact|, I tried to compute it anyway and what I got and what the correct answer was were very different. Can anyone point me in the proper direction?

Given equation is correct.

Please show your work and answer

- and we will be able to tell then if and where you might have taken the wrong path.

I did |(.356-1.1) / 1.1| * 100 and got 67.636.

I don't know what to put in for exact and approximate values. That was just my stab at it.

You are subtracting the value of x from the value of f(x). Those are NOT "exact" and "approximate" values of f(x). Your exact value should be the value of f(1.1)= 1.1/(1.1+ 2)= 1.1/3.1= 11/31. Your approximate value should be the value you get using that linear approximation, 1/3+ (2/9)(1.1- 1)= 3/9+ .2/9= 3.2/9= 32/90.