Users overcomplicating consec. even/odd integers

lookagain

Elite Member
I have read through several posts on this site where helpers are overcomplicating the setting up of variables and the equations
that can be used to solve for consecutive even integers or consecutive odd integers.

To simplify things, you could pick your consecutive even integers in a certain appropriate algebra problem to be: n, n + 2, n + 4, etc.

To simplify things, you could pick your consecutive odd integers in some other appropriate algebra problem also to be: n, n + 2, n + 4, etc.

If the problem is doable (written correctly), as soon as the integer sum is given (nailed down), the respective n-values will be forced to fall in place.

Example 1: The sum of four consecutive odd integers is 0. Find the integers. (Use my general set-up.)

Example 2: The sum of four consecutive even integers is -4. Find the integers. (Use my general set-up.)

Isn't it simpler still to simply state "integer"; no need to specify if even or odd ?
Simply "integers" are one unit apart: n, n + 1, n + 2, n + 3, and so forth.

"Even" (or odd) "integers" are two units apart: n, n + 2, n + 4, n + 6, and so forth. ;)