Multiply and Simplify Problem.

Casey Daniels

Okay,
Trying to work through an old math book trying to get ready to take a calculs class at college. The books only has answers to the odd and of course one of the ones i'm not sure about is an even problem anyways.

the instructions are Multiply the rational expressions and simplify.

t2 + 4
3t
-------
-------
=
t - 3
t + 2

Couldn't Factor anything out so I just went ahead and mutiplied

3t(t2 + 4)
--------------
=
(t - 3) (t + 2)

Then the rest of the problems considered leaving it in the factored state as being simplified, so I didn't actually mutiple it out.

Am I missing something here, the only one that would seem to be factorably is the (t2 + 4), but because its +4 not minus four its not the result of difference between perfect squares.

Thanks

Last edited:
Okay,
Trying to work through an old math book trying to get ready to take a calculs class at college. The books only has answers to the odd and of course one of the ones i'm not sure about is an even problem anyways.

the instructions are Multiply the rational expressions and simplify.

Doesn't look any of the expressions are factorable Which not sure if I would live it in that form
so I just come up with or actually mutilpy it out
t2 + 4 3t 3t(t2 + 4) 3t3 + 12t
------- * -------- = ----------------- = ---------------------
t - 3 t + 2 (t - 3) (t + 2) t2 - t - 6

Am I missing something here?

Thanks
The formatting of the fractions is a disaster (multiple spaces are reduced to a single space). It would look better if you but brackets around numerators and denominators. Or, type periods instead of spaces. If you change the color of the dots from black to white, you can get this:

t2 + 4 ........3t.......... 3t(t2 + 4)................. 3t3 + 12t
t - 3....... t + 2 .......(t - 3) (t + 2)............ t2 - t - 6

There are no common factors between numerator and denominator, so nothing to cancel.

The formatting of the fractions is a disaster (multiple spaces are reduced to a single space). It would look better if you but brackets around numerators and denominators. Or, type periods instead of spaces. If you change the color of the dots from black to white, you can get this:

t2 + 4 ........3t.......... 3t(t2 + 4)................. 3t3 + 12t
t - 3....... t + 2 .......(t - 3) (t + 2)............ t2 - t - 6

There are no common factors between numerator and denominator, so nothing to cancel.

Right after I posted it I figured out it wasn't going to look right so I edited it, but you managed to get to it before I had finished editing.
Thanks.

Perhaps t^2 + 4 should be t^2 - 4 ?

Nope just double checked its +4, If it was -4 probably wouldn't have asked since it would have factored out to

(t-2)(t+2) which would have worked out a little bit nicer than what I came up with.