Fair distance center point

P

pigeonflyer

My hobby club mates are in a years old argument over fair distance in a competition (to determine a central start point) The norm has been to draw a circle using the outer most competing members to determine a center point. The argument comes in when the direction changes for example South to North, the distance for members closest to the central point vs those farther away can be very different. And even more so when North is the direction.

We use GPS now to communicate the central point to each member (whose GPS is fixed) but no center point to determine where the central point will be? Is there a better way to determine a central point that spreads the distance more evenly? One example I can give is: South, the 1st central point will be the High School Football Stadium in this town, which just for communicaton sake is called 150 miles so there are some members that are 98 miles and some members who are 130 miles.

Is there a way to determine (using the Highway system) as fair as possible a central point for everyone.

This may just be the way it is but I am trying to get more perspective from those that are more intellegent than I.

Thanks for any light shed on this subject.

Centerpoint

In Reply yes we are racing pigeons one of the unwritten rules is to race using the highway system stay as close to Highway as possible (save gas). As of now the race Secretary just picks an old point and says that is the release point. But the argument is how do arrive at that, is there a fair way to that.

There used to be a center point used to determine release points but the argument became it favored certain members no matter which direction you use?