Solve 3x^2-x=14

kmerr98277

Solve 3x^2-x=14

Just says solve the equation. Just solve for x? Do i divide both sides by 3 until I can isolate the x? It seems I would need to eliminate the exponent as well. Thanks.

Solve 3x^2-x=14

Just says solve the equation. Just solve for x? Do i divide both sides by 3 until I can isolate the x? It seems I would need to eliminate the exponent as well. Thanks.
Kmerr, are you trying to teach yourself beginning algebra or do you attend a class with an actual live teacher? I ask this because for the questions you have asked in this forum you tend to have no idea how to do them at a level that makes it seem like you are self-teaching. I would think if you were attending a class you would have SOME idea as to how to tackle some of the problems you posted.

Take a look at this website: http://www.purplemath.com/modules/solvquad6.htm#top. It shows a variety of ways to solve a quadratic equation, then come back to us if you still have issues solving this problem of yours.

Hint: In this problem, you can solve by factoring

Solve 3x^2-x=14

Just says solve the equation. Just solve for x?

Yes, that's correct.

There are no other symbols; x is the only unknown value, in this equation.

Do i divide both sides by 3 until I can isolate the x?

That approach might work for a simple, linear equation, but equations that contain squared variables require other methods (discussed at the link provided by srmichael).

Cheers :cool:

Solve 3x^2-x=14

When a problem says to "solve an equation," it is asking you to determine if there are one or more numbers that make the equation a true statement and, if there are, to specify what those numbers are.

\(\displaystyle Example\ 1:\ 3x + 4 = 3x;\ no\ solution.\)

\(\displaystyle Example\ 2:\ x^4 = 13x^2 - 36;\ solutions\ are\ 2,\ - 2,\ 3,\ and\ - 3.\)

\(\displaystyle Example\ 3:\ x + 7 = 7 + x;\ every\ real\ (and\ every\ complex)\ number\ is\ a\ solution.\)

Last edited:
I can't believe I posted this just one year ago. After many hours studying and attending class I'm about to finish calc 2.