14 - x = 42 ? Confused on how to solve this.

dvdlpt

Hello,

Need some help with understanding the above equation. I've learned we are supposed to inverse, or do the opposite to solve the above equation. However, when I apply this method to the above equation, I don't get a correct result. I know I'm missing something important. My math book doesn't have an example for this type of question.

My understanding is this;
14 - x = 42
x = 42 - 14 ?
x= 28

Clearly x does not equal 28. I know from checking the answers that x is actually (-28). What are the steps to solve this one?

Thanks for the help!

14 - x = 42
x = 42 - 14
How did the -x turn into a +x?

Instead, try doing the steps clearly:

Code:
14 - x = 42
   + x      + x
----------------
14     = 42 + x

14      =  42 + x
   - 42   -42
-----------------
14 - 42 =       x

...and so forth. ;)

Hello,

Need some help with understanding the above equation. I've learned we are supposed to inverse, or do the opposite to solve the above equation. However, when I apply this method to the above equation, I don't get a correct result. I know I'm missing something important. My math book doesn't have an example for this type of question.

My understanding is this;
14 - x = 42
x = 42 - 14 ? How did - x on the left hand side magically change into + x? See below
x= 28

Clearly x does not equal 28. I know from checking the answers that x is actually (-28). What are the steps to solve this one?

Thanks for the help!
14 - x = 42
- x = 42 - 14 = 28
(- 1) * (-x) = (-1) * 28
x = -28