Free Online equation editor

Dale10101

Free Online LaTex equation editor, no need to learn Latex!

This post seems to be expanding to the several ways of entering equations on the posting page with a computer, so I add this before anything:

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/mathtext.htm gives a detailed table of how to enter equations using the most immediate method ... the keyboard at your finger tips.

Supplementing this, also at your fingertips, are the toolbar keys on the posting page and in particular the subscript and superscript button. The freemathhelp posting page toolbar does allow for creating sub and superscripts ... recently discovered it myself. The only thing to know is that you press the button a second time to return the cursor to the main typing line.

I use a commercial editor but have played with this freebie online equation editor.

http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

PROS: No fees, no sign up, has a nice tool bar, as you type it displays both the latex code and the finished equation as it will appear. Probably helps in learning LaTex.

CONS: The finished equation cannot be directly copied and pasted onto the freemathhelp posting page (but, see "New discovery" below), instead a .gif is downloaded and that can of course be inserted onto the freemathhelp web page. Also a con, you can create only one line of LaTex code at a time.

If you don't want to fiddle with Latex code, pasting the .gif file anywhere desired in your
freemathhelp post is the way to go. (Actually, as noted in next post, you can go another route and use the "Windows equation editor" and make a .gif from there. To make the .gif use the "snipping tool", see below.

New discovery! It seems that if you begin your Latex code line with a "back slash+left square parenthesis" and end it with "back slash + right square parenthesis" you can copy and paste directly onto the freemathhelp posting page !!!

for example, I produced the following code in the editor whose link I started this post with

parentheses.jpg

and then copied and pasted it to produce

\[c^{2}=a^{2}+b^{2}\]

Tips and a warning! Slow down partner. If you use the online editor to add the backslash "[" and backslash "]" characters the editor will automatically add an additional "]" character at the beginning of the line ... that MUST be deleted. Also, it is possible to write an expression using a different order of keystrokes and produce two slightly different forms of the LaTex code only one of which will post correctly :(. Still, I am finding that it is not so hard to get it right with a little experience. :smile:

PS. This is editor recommendation is "provisional" at this point, and purely my own idea so I will take any blame, feedback would be appreciated ... does this work for you?

Snipping tool: For users of Windows 7/8 an app that snips out for saving a portion of the screen:
The snipping tool can be located by typing "Snipping tool" in the Start search box .... the link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

... discusses the tool, several save options,

[FONT=WOL_Reg]"When you capture a snip, it is automatically copied to the Clipboard so that you can quickly paste it into a document, e‑mail, or a presentation. You can also save a snip as an HTML, PNG, GIF, or JPEG file. After you capture a snip, you can save it by clicking the [FONT=WOL_Bold]Save Snip button in the mark-up window."[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:
Actually a good idea with just posting the .gif. I can actually just use Word Equation creator, print-screen the formula and paste it as a .gif.

Well, there you go.

Actually a good idea with just posting the .gif. I can actually just use Word Equation creator, print-screen the formula and paste it as a .gif.

GREAT IDEA! Thanks for the feedback.