Need help with setting up linear equation. ASAP

zdiddy

Problem 1: A perfume maker has stocks of two perfumes on hand. Perfume A sells for $15 per ounce. Perfume B sells for $35 per ounce. How much of each should be combined to make a 3 oz. bottle of perfume that could be sold for $63?

Problem 2: A person gets 150 points for every correct answers and loses 250 points for each incorrect answer. After answering 20 questions the person has 200 points. How many questions has the person answered correctly? Incorrectly?

I know how to do the math I just don't how to set up the equations.

Problem 1: A perfume maker has stocks of two perfumes on hand. Perfume A sells for $15 per ounce. Perfume B sells for $35 per ounce. How much of each should be combined to make a 3 oz. bottle of perfume that could be sold for $63?

Problem 2: A person gets 150 points for every correct answers and loses 250 points for each incorrect answer. After answering 20 questions the person has 200 points. How many questions has the person answered correctly? Incorrectly?

I know how to do the math I just don't how to set up the equations.

After setting up the problems - any body can do the math! It is the setting up the equations that take skill.

First you need to decide what do you need to solve?

In problem 1 - you need to solve for amount of perfume A and need to solve for amount of perfume B - in 3 oz of mixture.

So let:

amount of perfume A = A oz.

amount of perfume B = B oz.

We have 3 oz of mixture.

so

A + B = 3........................................................................(1)

Now figure out what would be the price of the mixture = 63

You cost of the mixture is = 15 * A + 35 * B

Does that make another equation?

What would that be?

Then you have 2 equations and two unknowns - solve those...

Then attack the second problem similarly....

Problem A answer.

Perfume A is 2.1 oz and Perfume B is 0.9 oz. Is this correct?

Perfume A is 2.1 oz and Perfume B is 0.9 oz. Is this correct?

Looks good to me....

Now onto the second one.

Define variables

Convert given conditions to equations...