Finding the equation of a parabola

cosmic

Hi guys,

Is it possible to work out the equation of a parabola given just two point? Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Nevermind guys I've figured it out

Oh good. Perhaps, you figured that either of the following forms work with two points.

y = Ax^2 + Bx .. :!: as long as neither of the two known points have x-coordinate zero

y = Ax^2 + C

EGs: given coordinates (1,0) and (-4,-4)

Solving the two systems of equations, the former gives y = -1/5*x^2 + 1/5*x

and the latter gives y = -4/15*x^2 + 4/15

Ciao :)

If you provide me with the location of the vertex (not on x-axis) and one of the x-intercepts for vertical parabola - I can see graphically "a general parabola" is defined.

Say if the parabola is vertical then the x-intercepts are symmetric about the vertex - and we will have 3 points defined (the property of the vertex hides one condition) . Similar with horizontal parabola. The slanted parabola will need four parameters.

If you provide me with the location of the vertex (not on x-axis) and one of the x-intercepts for vertical parabola - I can see graphically "a general parabola" is defined.

Say if the parabola is vertical then the x-intercepts are symmetric about the vertex - and we will have 3 points defined (the property of the vertex hides one condition) . Similar with horizontal parabola. The slanted parabola will need four parameters.

Thank you. I was able to work it out from the vertex and another point. :)

Oh good. Perhaps, you figured that either of the following forms work with two points.

y = Ax^2 + Bx .. :!: as long as neither of the two known points have x-coordinate zero

y = Ax^2 + C

EGs: given coordinates (1,0) and (-4,-4)

Solving the two systems of equations, the former gives y = -1/5*x^2 + 1/5*x

and the latter gives y = -4/15*x^2 + 4/15

Ciao :)

Thank you for your reply. Yes I used a similar method.