Understanding turning circles/radiuses

pippym1122

OK, a post from a new UK member of this form (me) who's 38 and whose geometry should be better!

I'm trying to calculate if a vehicle with a turning radius/circle of 12.5 metres can access our property.

The road we live on is about 4.4 metres wide (and is fairly straight). The access point onto our drive (at its narrowest point) is about 3.6 metres wide. Would this vehicle fit? If not how much would I need to widen our access point by?

any guidance would be gratefully received. Thank you.

:confused:

The answer to this question requires not just the turning radius but also the width of the vehicle.

is there a calculation for this?

Hi hallsofivy (and others). hope you got the vehicle width of 2.55 metres ok. Might you know the amount I'd need to widen the drive by or advise me of the calculation pls? Wld be much appreciated.

OK, a post from a new UK member of this form (me) who's 38 and whose geometry should be better!

I'm trying to calculate if a vehicle with a turning radius/circle of 12.5 metres can access our property.

The road we live on is about 4.4 meters wide (and is fairly straight). The access point onto our drive (at its narrowest point) is about 3.6 meters wide. Would this vehicle fit? If not how much would I need to widen our access point by?

any guidance would be gratefully received. Thank you.

:confused:

This is not a problem for amateurs - and I am not a pro at this design.

However, Googling around ("turning radius of vehicle road design vehicle width) - I got this article -seem to be helpful:

http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdotmanuals/rdw/minimum_designs_truck_bus_turns.htm

Read and proceed....

thx Subhotosh Khan

appreciate the link - I did try googling this problem myself but failed to find a solution (+didn't come across this site). Hv read, digested and still stuck though.