Differentiation notation question

spilat12

Hi there. The problem I solved (supposedly) is "Find dy/dx" for y=sin(1 + sqrt(sin(x))). However, when I checked in the solution book, the result looked a bit different. Now I am not sure, whether it is just a matter of notation and doesn't make difference, or the way I wrote my answer is incorrect. Please see the attached screenshot.

scr.jpg

I would really appreciate your help, especially if you explain why the result from the solution book looks so different (why using those brackets?). Thanks in advance and, of course, have a great day! :)

Best regards,
Siarhei

Hi there. The problem I solved (supposedly) is "Find dy/dx" for y=sin(1 + sqrt(sin(x))). However, when I checked in the solution book, the result looked a bit different. Now I am not sure, whether it is just a matter of notation and doesn't make difference, or the way I wrote my answer is incorrect. Please see the attached screenshot.

View attachment 4280

I would really appreciate your help, especially if you explain why the result from the solution book looks so different (why using those brackets?). Thanks in advance and, of course, have a great day! :)

Best regards,
Siarhei

Your hand-written answer and the printed answers are equivalent.

Your answer is of the form \(\displaystyle \frac{ab}{c}\), theirs is \(\displaystyle a\left(\frac{b}{c}\right)\). I'm not sure I would even call those "different notations"!

Your answer is of the form \(\displaystyle \frac{ab}{c}\), theirs is \(\displaystyle a\left(\frac{b}{c}\right)\). I'm not sure I would even call those "different notations"!

What confused me was the use of square brackets. So, using your example, my answer is ab/c, theirs is [a]b/c. So, I don't understand why they put it in square brackets.

I don't understand why they [used] square brackets

Grouping symbols are needed in that form, to change the Order of Operations.

Answers displayed electronically could be generated by software. Such answers may take a particular form simply as a consequence of the algorithms used by software.

There are often a number of different ways of expressing the same answer. :)

Grouping symbols are needed in that form, to change the Order of Operations.

Answers displayed electronically could be generated by software. Such answers may take a particular form simply as a consequence of the algorithms used by software.

There are often a number of different ways of expressing the same answer. :)

Thank you for clarifying answer, that explains it. :)