1st derivative with ln function and fraction

GregB

Please help!! I am trying to figure out the first derivative of the following equation

v=((ln(S/62))/-0.015)*S

To solve S for the first derivative of the curve when v = 0

I know the approximate answer from plotting the curve of the equation, but the ln fraction is throwing me off - I believe the 1st derivative of ln(S/62) should be 1/(S/62), but then what do I do with this, and what happens to the -0.015? I believe the derivative of the lone S = 1. I could of course be wrong on all fronts.

I just seem to be going in circles and getting totally stuck! would appreciate some help, are my assumptions even correct?

TIA

Last edited:
...the first derivative of the following equation

v=((ln(S/62))/-0.015)*S

What is meant by "solving S"? Are you maybe supposed to find the derivative of v "with respect to S"?

When you reply, please show your work so far. Thank you! ;)

What is meant by "solving S"? Are you maybe supposed to find the derivative of v "with respect to S"?

When you reply, please show your work so far. Thank you! ;)

Hi Stapel, I’m by no means a mathematician so will try to explain as best I can. The relationship between v and S forms a bell-shaped curve. I need to fine the value of S where the slope = 0 and believe this is where the first derivative of the curve = 0. Let’s set S to be x if you like.
I.e. dv/dx = 0

I have broken it down as follows: letting 1/-0.015 be -0.015-1 then I have:
(ln(x/62)*-0.015-1)*x
I know the derivative of x is 1, but I’m having trouble applying the rules to this equation – is this the right approach to take? The two products are just confusing me.

I’m by no means a mathematician so will try to explain as best I can.
It's not a matter of being a mathematician; using standard terminology is sufficient. For a start, is v a function of S, is S a function of v, or are they both a function of something else? With respect to which variable are you taking the derivative? Where did the "x" come from?

It may help to provide the full and exact text of the exercise, and the complete instructions. Thank you! ;)

It's not a matter of being a mathematician; using standard terminology is sufficient. For a start, is v a function of S, is S a function of v, or are they both a function of something else? With respect to which variable are you taking the derivative? Where did the "x" come from?

It may help to provide the full and exact text of the exercise, and the complete instructions. Thank you! ;)

OK this is the best description I can give… v is a function of S and D whereby v=S*D. I have an equation for the relationship between v and D, and an equation for the relationship between v and S.

The v to D relationship is v=D*62e^(-0.015D), the derivative of which I have solved for a slope of 0.

The v to S relationship is v=ln(S/62)/(-0.015)*S which I need to solve for dv/dS=0, but this is where I am stuck.

I need these values as I need to calculate the value of c, which is S*D where the slope of each graph (equation) is zero.

I appreciate that this may not be a great explanation but it’s the best I have. I appreciate your help.

Please help!! I am trying to figure out the first derivative of the following equation

v=((ln(S/62))/-0.015)*S

I know the approximate answer from plotting the curve of the equation, but the ln fraction is throwing me off - I believe the 1st derivative of ln(S/62) should be 1/(S/62), but then what do I do with this, and what happens to the -0.015? I believe the derivative of the lone S = 1. I could of course be wrong on all fronts.

I just seem to be going in circles and getting totally stuck! would appreciate some help, are my assumptions even correct?

TIA

Can you derive the expression of first derivative of the following function:

y = C * x * ln(x) ......[C is a constant]

dy/dx = ?

Can you derive the expression of first derivative of the following function:

y = C * x * ln(x) ......[C is a constant]

dy/dx = ?

like this???:
a716467d8f6037aa21e89d0d45b9295b.png

Right - so you have:

v=((ln(S/62))/-0.015)*S

v= - (ln(S/62) * S * 1/0.015

v= - 1/0.015 * S * ln(S) + ln(62)/0.015 * S

Now differentiate.... term by term

So I get:
-1/0.015*lnS+ln62/0.015 which makes S=62, but I know from the graph this is incorrect

Right - so you have:

v=((ln(S/62))/-0.015)*S

v= - (ln(S/62) * S * 1/0.015

v= - 1/0.015 * S * ln(S) + ln(62)/0.015 * S

Now differentiate.... term by term

dv/ds = 1/0.015*[ln(62) -ln(S)-1] = 0

ln(S) = ln[62/e] → S = ???

22.8. There's no way I would have figured this out, I need to go back and look at what you havedone. Thanks!

Yes, there is a way. The last few steps are simply algebra - you have done those in high school.