Halloween raffle problem

DanaAJames

Five raffle tickets are sold for a Halloween raffle. Marty buys three of the five raffle tickets. Two of the tickets are to be drawn as winning tickets. What is the probability of Marty not having a winning ticket? What is the probability of Marty have one winning ticket? What is the probability of Marty having two winning tickets?

Please explain as best as possible

I am having trouble knowing where to start.

Last edited:
Five raffle tickets are sold for a Halloween raffle. Marty buys three of the five raffle tickets. Two of the tickets are to be drawn as winning tickets. What is the probability of Marty not having a winning ticket? What is the probability of Marty have one winning ticket? What is the probability of Marty having two winning tickets?

Please explain as best as possible
We really can't provide classroom lectures here. Has your class not covered this material?

I am having trouble knowing where to start.
Would you be able to start if he'd bought only one ticket? ;)

There is a total of only five tickets? And Marty buys three of the five? And two tickets are drawn?

There are 5 tickest and three of them Marty bought so two of the five are tickets he did not buy. What is the probability the first ticket drawn is NOT one of the three Marty bought? If that does happen, there are now four tickets left, three that Marty bought and one that Marty did not buy. What is the probability that the the second drawn is not one of the three Marty? The probability neither is a ticket Marty bought is the product of those.

The others can be done similarly.

As a check the probability none, or one, or both of the tickets drawn is a ticket Marty bought must add to 1.

Last edited:
We really can't provide classroom lectures here. Has your class not covered this material?

Would you be able to start if he'd bought only one ticket? ;)

We did cover this, and I meant explain best you can as in try to give me as much detail as possible. I got it, but thanks!

We did cover this, and I meant explain best you can as in try to give me as much detail as possible.
So... you'd wanted a complete worked solution that you could copy into your homework...? :shock:

Play nicely, Stapel- even with those who do not follow the rules!

You know, never mind. I will figure it out on my own. And no, I was not intending to copy it to my homework, I needed a guide. You could've at least explained one part or at least enough to get me started. And may I ask, what rules did I not follow? Forum rules (I'm sorry if I did), or another type of rule?

Also, please remember what I said at the end of my last post, "I got it, but thanks".

Last edited: