Where can parents get help for younger students?

pamelacoelho

Sorry I am a bit off-topic here. But is there any thread or discussion in this forum from which parents like me can get help for their kids? My little one is just learning the basics now and I was looking for related topics to know how best I can guide him.

Sorry I am a bit off-topic here. But is there any thread or discussion in this forum from which parents like me can get help for their kids? My little one is just learning the basics now and I was looking for related topics to know how best I can guide him.
This is a math-help forum, where volunteers help students work through specific exercises. For advice on how to provide general lesson instruction or tutoring support for topics covered by small children, you might want to try finding a forum which is specific to that topic. For instance, many homeschooling parents find that they need some extra support from time to time, and can provide "road-tested" reviews of the various products and/or methods available.

My best wishes to you and your "student". ;)

Thank you

This is a math-help forum, where volunteers help students work through specific exercises. For advice on how to provide general lesson instruction or tutoring support for topics covered by small children, you might want to try finding a forum which is specific to that topic. For instance, many homeschooling parents find that they need some extra support from time to time, and can provide "road-tested" reviews of the various products and/or methods available.

My best wishes to you and your "student". ;)

Thanks much for the suggestion. Actually seeing free math help, the website name, I thought this would be the right place to join in and find some help from time to time. If you don't mind, could you suggest some sites? There are many of course, but seeing that you are an elite member just asking for your recommendation. I have used this one, on a friend's suggestion before - http://www.jumpstart.com/parents/games/math-games, and trying to locate something similar as this site seems to have different activities listed, as well. Just trying to avoid site that are not dependable at all. Do you think checking out school website's parent resource suggestion would be something helpful?

Thanks much for the suggestion. Actually seeing free math help, the website name, I thought this would be the right place to join in and find some help from time to time. If you don't mind, could you suggest some sites? There are many of course, but seeing that you are an elite member just asking for your recommendation. I have used this one, on a friend's suggestion before - http://www.jumpstart.com/parents/games/math-games, and trying to locate something similar as this site seems to have different activities listed, as well. Just trying to avoid site that are not dependable at all. Do you think checking out school website's parent resource suggestion would be something helpful?

Yes, I DO believe this would be helpful. Resources posted by your school would (I hope!) have been checked for reliability. I also suggest that you check with your child's teacher, who may well know of sites which are appropriate for the particular grade level of the students, and the material being covered. I think that starting with sources suggested by your school would be a good step to take.

Thanks for your suggestions. Our family has recently faced a very difficult situation with our little one being bullied terribly in school and so we are trying to home-school him for some time until the scar on his young mind fades a bit. I really appreciate your time and valuable words as it means a lot. Thanks again.

Thanks for your suggestions. Our family has recently faced a very difficult situation with our little one being bullied terribly in school and so we are trying to home-school him for some time until the scar on his young mind fades a bit. I really appreciate your time and valuable words as it means a lot. Thanks again.

I don't know how it would fit in with the teaching methods outside of the UK, but using bbc.co.uk/bitesize over here is the biggest help, uses a lot of diagrams to help explain and there are plenty of worksheet available (at least, there was when I last used it).

Supplemental Websites

A website I found very useful to get my daughter up to speed with her math skills was Beestar. It provided a good variety of worksheets for her to choose and learn from. I was also able to track her progress online. My daughter was also able to see her progress compared to other students. The most important aspect was that my daughter gained more confidence in her math and was willing to try more difficult problems both at school and at home. The critical skills that she learned from all these worksheets was amazing.

Khan Academy is a good site with worked practical examples and exercises to work through at all levels.;)

Agree. I did try Beestar for my son which is a good online maths program. As mentioned,it lets my son gained more confidence in math and was willing to try more difficult problems. My son also get the Beestar National Competition gold metal. We will keeping using Beestar in math program and would like to try the reading program also.