[MOVED] abelian groups, boolean logic, etc

Athena

Pls help me with this questions:

9. Obtain the conjunctive normal form of the following propositions:

(a) \(\displaystyle P\, \land\, \left(P\, \rightarrow\, Q\right)\)

(b) \(\displaystyle Q\, \lor\, \left(P\, \land\, R\right)\, \land\, \urcorner \left( \left( P\, \lor\, R \right) \, \land \, Q\right)\)

10. Show that \(\displaystyle \left(P\, \rightarrow\, Q\right)\, \land\, \left(R\, \rightarrow\, Q\right)\, \leftrightarrow\, \left(P\, \lor\, R\right)\, \rightarrow\, Q\)

11. Let \(\displaystyle A\, =\, \left\{1,\, 2,\, 3,\, 4,\, 5,\, 6\right\}.\) Define \(\displaystyle R\) to be \(\displaystyle R\, \left\{x,\, y\, |\, x\, \leq\, y\right\}.\) Test whether \(\displaystyle R\) is Reflexive, Transitive, or Symmetric.

12. Let \(\displaystyle I\) be the set of integers. Prove that the algebra \(\displaystyle \left(I,\, +\right)\) is an abelian group.

This is for my brother.....maths is not my main.......having hard time explaining his doubts......!!! any help wud be grt...!!! i know this kind of posts are no gud...sorry....!!! btw this is from a question bank.....!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pls help me with this questions:

9. Obtain the conjunctive normal form of the following propositions:

(a) \(\displaystyle P\, \land\, \left(P\, \rightarrow\, Q\right)\)

(b) \(\displaystyle Q\, \lor\, \left(P\, \land\, R\right)\, \land\, \urcorner \left( \left( P\, \lor\, R \right) \, \land \, Q\right)\)

10. Show that \(\displaystyle \left(P\, \rightarrow\, Q\right)\, \land\, \left(R\, \rightarrow\, Q\right)\, \leftrightarrow\, \left(P\, \lor\, R\right)\, \rightarrow\, Q\)

11. Let \(\displaystyle A\, =\, \left\{1,\, 2,\, 3,\, 4,\, 5,\, 6\right\}.\) Define \(\displaystyle R\) to be \(\displaystyle R\, \left\{x,\, y\, |\, x\, \leq\, y\right\}.\) Test whether \(\displaystyle R\) is Reflexive, Transitive, or Symmetric.

12. Let \(\displaystyle I\) be the set of integers. Prove that the algebra \(\displaystyle \left(I,\, +\right)\) is an abelian group.

This is for my brother.....maths is not my main.......having hard time explaining his doubts......!!! any help wud be grt...!!! i know this kind of posts are no gud...sorry....!!! btw this is from a question bank.....!!!!
It is absurd of you to ask us to review a whole term of discrete mathematics.
Get your brother to read the terms of usage of this forum. Then post his own questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first question should be whether you- oops, your brother- know what any of the words you are using mean!
If he knows what "reflexive", "symmetric", and "transitive mean, #11 should be easy. If he knows what "Abelian Group" means, #12 should be easy.

If he doesn't, he should look them up!