5 ( 8m + 5 ) - 2 ( 3m - 5 )
can you show me how to do this in detail

First equation question that is confusing me is
4 (x - 1) = 2 ( 3 - x ) can anyone help me solve this please

and the next is expand and simplify
5 ( 8m + 5 ) - 2 ( 3m - 5 )
can you show me how to do this in detail
Where is your attempt?
Did you try distributing in both problems? You can divide both sides by 2 first in the 1st problem, but you do not have to.
The website is math help, not we will do your homework for you.
Please make an attempt.

Where is your attempt?
Did you try distributing in both problems? You can divide both sides by 2 first in the 1st problem, but you do not have to.
The website is math help, not we will do your homework for you.
Please make an attempt.

I don't know the next step to these and i'm just worrying because these types of questions will be on my test.
Only know the first step and don't know what is next.

1. 4x - 4 = 3 - 2x and then i don't know where to go from there

2. 40m + 25 - 6m + 10 and i don't know what to do next either

Last edited:
I don't know the next step to these and i'm just worrying because these types of questions will be on my test.
Only know the first step and don't know what is next.

1. 4x - 4 = 3 - 2x and then i don't know where to go from there The left side (of the = sign) has 4x's and the right side has -2x's. Since the left side has more x's then we bring all x's to the left side and all numbers to the rhs.

Here is and example. 5y - 2 = 8y +4. Then 5y -2 -5y - 4 = 8y + 4 -5y -4. Then -6 = 3y. Then y = -2 (since 3*(-2)=-6)

2. 40m + 25 - 6m + 10 and i don't know what to do next either You have 4 terms. To find out what type of term you have you can cover up the number. So for 40 m just see m-so it is an m term. For 25 if you cover the 25 there is nothing, so 25 is just a number. For 6m, cover up the 6 and you have just m, so it is an m term. 10 is just a number. So you combine (add or subtract) the like term. Since 40-6=34 we have +34m. Since 25+10=+35 the final answer is 34m + 35
Think about adding terms like this. In arithmetic we might be giving the three problem 2+3, 7-4 and 6-9. In algebra we are given the SAME three problems in one problem. First note that when we cover up the 56 in 56x^2 we know that this is an x^2 (not the same as x). Now 2x^2+7x + 6 + 3x^2 -4x -9 = 5x^2 +3x -3
Look at my comment for problem number 2 first. Show us your solution.

I'm sorry to hear that you're going to be tested on material which has not yet been covered in class. You should have a serious talk with your academic advisor about this. Administration should probably be advised regarding the instructor who is violating standards this way! :shock:

In the meantime, obviously hints and helps on two exercises won't teach you the entire topic at hand. Instead, to learn how to solve linear equations, your best bet is self-study of complete lessons. Please start with this listing. After you have studied at least two lessons from the list, please return and attempt these or other exercises, showing all of your steps. Once we see how far your learning has progressed, we'll be able to help you over the next hump.

Thank you! ;)