Algebra Word problem Help

mba2015

Given that percent can be expressed in decimal form (example: 25% of a value y can be written as 0.25y) answer the following:
Tom uses the linear model of y = 35,000 + 0.45x to anticipate his salary from completing x amount of dollars' worth of jobs.
What is Tom's base salary? What percent commission does he earn? Would you be able to use the same equation for Tom the next year? Why or why not?

I am new here and would appreciate any help. I came up with an answer of 35,000 for annual salary and 45% commission and it could be used the next year if the commission stayed the same. I feel thats to easy and i'm missing something in this problem. any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Given that percent can be expressed in decimal form (example: 25% of a value y can be written as 0.25y) answer the following:
Tom uses the linear model of y = 35,000 + 0.45x to anticipate his salary from completing x amount of dollars' worth of jobs.
What is Tom's base salary? What percent commission does he earn? Would you be able to use the same equation for Tom the next year? Why or why not?

I am new here and would appreciate any help. I came up with an answer of 35,000 for annual salary and 45% commission and it could be used the next year if the commission stayed the same. I feel thats to easy and i'm missing something in this problem. any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Feeling long winded right now, so a whole lot to say you are right: I'm glad to hear you thought it was easy. Means you are ready to go on to more difficult problems. Base salary is if no jobs are completed, i.e. x=0 which, as you pointed out, is 35,000. Since he gets a 0.45 or 45% part of every job completed, his commission, again as you gave, is 45%. As far as the answer to that last question goes, I would just add and his base salary stays the same.

Last edited: