Titles, and what's needed to earn them

jonah2.0

From this thread:

....Going by the theoretical equation of value corresponding to this problem, you'd have to set 18 to n and equate the whole thing to 20,000 which is

\(\displaystyle 646.56\frac{(1.0325)^n-1}{.0325}(1.0325)^8=20,000\)

as suggested by my good friends, Sir Denis and Sir Ishuda.

As you may have noticed, there's some slight discrepancy when computing for the theoretical value of n. You can always expect such difference(s) whenever n is the unknown quantity in an annuity problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir Jonah, be it yet too early to apply "Sir" to Ishuda; he must
rescue Fair Damsels, fight crocodiles and the likes of Sir Lookagain
for a whole year, thus eligible for the coveted title on July 30th. ...
Rescue Fair Damsels? Fight crocodiles? Sure, no problem. Even Fight Dragons! But, Sir Lookagain? Well, there are a lot of things I could say about that but lets just leave it at I have a very large aversion to that.

DISCLAIMER: Beer soaked rambling/opinion/observation/reckoning ahead. Read at your own risk. Not to be taken seriously. In no event shall the wandering math knight-errant Sir jonah in his inebriated state be liable to anyone for special, collateral, incidental, or consequential damages in connection with or arising out of the use of his beer (and tequila) powered views.
Sir Jonah, be it yet too early to apply "Sir" to Ishuda; he must
rescue Fair Damsels, fight crocodiles and the likes of Sir Lookagain
for a whole year, thus eligible for the coveted title on July 30th.
Nay Sir Denis, I say nay!
Be it not too early at all.
I say anyone who takes it upon himself or herself to tackle other folks' problems/troubles, especially math problems, is a knight-errant in my book. Ah to aid the clueless, guide the lost, entertain them angry lazy ingrates, etc., in their struggle against our beloved queen. Queen to some of us, the dark Lord Mathematicus for a great unenlightened many. But I digress.
My point is this: Anyone engaged in quixotic conduct is a knight-errant of sorts and deserves to be addressed as Sir.
I happen to be in a good mood due to Milos Raonic
defeating Rafael Nadal last night :rolleyes:
Hockey and tennis and Bugs Bunny specials?
Is that how you're keeping in shape these days?
Rescue Fair Damsels? Fight crocodiles? Sure, no problem. Even Fight Dragons! But, Sir Lookagain? Well, there are a lot of things I could say about that but lets just leave it at I have a very large aversion to that.
Methinks Sir lookagain be suffering from some kind of allergic reaction to something. Be it food or medication or personal, we must be patient and forgive (and love) his harsh nature. Sooner or later, I'm sure he'll come around. He might even pick up a bottle of absinthe like I advised him and start loving everything and everyone.
After all,
What the world needs now is love, sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love, sweet love
No not just for some but for everyone

From this thread:

....Going by the theoretical equation of value corresponding to this problem, you'd have to set 18 to n and equate the whole thing to 20,000 which is

\(\displaystyle 646.56\frac{(1.0325)^n-1}{.0325}(1.0325)^8=20,000\)

as suggested by my good friends, Sir Denis and Sir Ishuda.

As you may have noticed, there's some slight discrepancy when computing for the theoretical value of n. You can always expect such difference(s) whenever n is the unknown quantity in an annuity problem.

The slight discrepancy in value of n is due to rounding of annuity payment 646.56, if we were to use the actual payment with all decimal places such as 646.56048013436530834045693099781 then n would surely come to 18

DISCLAIMER: Beer soaked rambling/opinion/observation/reckoning ahead. Read at your own risk. Not to be taken seriously. In no event shall the wandering math knight-errant Sir jonah in his inebriated state be liable to anyone for special, collateral, incidental, or consequential damages in connection with or arising out of the use of his beer (and tequila) powered views.
The slight discrepancy in value of n is due to rounding of annuity payment 646.56, if we were to use the actual payment with all decimal places such as 646.56048013436530834045693099781 then n would surely come to 18
646.56048013436530834045693099781?
Indeed. But only in an alternate universe where such payments are allowed; maybe one where beings are allergic to rounding.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to drink exactly \(\displaystyle {{\sqrt 2 } \over 2}\) liter of beer or I won't be able to sleep soundly.

A man can drink a cask of wine in 20 days, but if his wife drinks with him it will take only 14 days—how long would it take for the wife alone?
About a day if the wife doesn't have the husband bugging the wife to not drink so much.

If one priest can pray a soul out of purgatory in 5 hours, while it takes a second priest 8 hours, how long will it take if the two priests prayed together?
About 13 hours. They would spend the rest of the time discussing how one should pray to be most pious and pointing out the mistakes in methods other than their own to become 'saved'.

I need to drink exactly \(\displaystyle {{\sqrt 2 } \over 2}\) liter of beer

Prime example of irrational behavior

And I thought radicals are found in strict conservative societies of inner-city London neighborhoods wielding a machete.

I need to drink exactly \(\displaystyle {{\sqrt 2 } \over 2}\) liter of beer
Prime example of irrational behavior

And I thought radicals are found in strict conservative societies of inner-city London neighborhoods wielding a machete.
Management thanks you profusely for your comments, Sir Dexter. Rest assured that such will be duly noted in your Personnel (yes, 2 n) File, and seriously taken in
consideration at your forthcoming Annual Performance Review (not to be confused with the APR associated with financial jargon).
Management also recognizes your being a serial coke (or is it pepsi) drinker and hereby recommends that you switch to a bottle of absinthe for a refreshing change of euphoric perspective.

Cheers.

Management also recognizes your being a serial coke (or is it pepsi) drinker and hereby recommends that you switch to a bottle of absinthe for a refreshing change of euphoric perspective.Cheers.

Liquid form is not as good as the crystalized one.

Robert Ford comes to mind.

Last edited: