Complicated maths language

benneedshelp

I need to know the difference between these sentences, if any? any number, examples please?

increase a number by one third
increase a number to one third
decrease a number to one third

I need to know the difference between these sentences, if any? any number, examples please?

Which parts are proving confusing to you? You know what "increase" and "decrease" mean, right? If you started with, say, the number zero, how would you fulfill each statement? What would be the results? If you started with three, what would be the results? What similarities or differences are there?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Which parts are proving confusing to you? You know what "increase" and "decrease" mean, right?
All the parts are confusing to me. I absolutely do understand what "increase" and "decrease" mean. In fact, I require students to distinguish between increasing and non-decreasing.

I need to know the difference between these sentences, if any?
BUT I have no idea what this question means. Short of giving a context, I think it means nothing.
1) How does one increase \(\displaystyle -3\) by one third?
  • Is it \(\displaystyle -3+~\frac{1}{3}(-3)=-4\text{, an increase?}\)
  • O.K. is it \(\displaystyle -3-~\frac{1}{3}(-3)=-2\text{, that an increase?}\)
  • \(\displaystyle n+~\frac{1}{3}(n)\text{, is a number added to one third of the number.}\)

2) How does one increase \(\displaystyle 5\text{ to }\frac{1}{3}~?\)

3) How does one decrease \(\displaystyle 0.25\text{ to }\frac{1}{3}~?\)

Last edited: