Formulas

Michelle Finney

The number of cookies, T, in b bags of cookies is given by the formula T = 8b. If you bought 4 bags, how many cookies would you have.

How do I explain this as I don't understand it, could someone please help.

The number of cookies, T, in b bags of cookies is given by the formula T = 8b. If you bought 4 bags, how many cookies would you have.

The way to read the equation is that for each bag of cookies (for each b) you would have 8 more cookies (T would increase by 8). For b bags of cookies, you would have 8 times b cookies. So, if b were 4 how many cookies would you have (what is T)?

It might help if you specified which part you do not understand. Have you not seen variables (like "T" and "b") before? Or not seen formulas (like "T = 8b") before? Or have you not done evaluation before? With which part, exactly, are you needing clarification? Thank you! ;)

1st understand that if, for example, the right hand side of the equation, 8b, was 17 then T = 17. T = what ever the right side equals.
b is the number of bags of cookies you bought and T is the number of total cookies.
What information WOULD YOU like to know in order to figure out how many cookies is in 4 bags. Possibly, but not necessary, you would want to know how many cookies are in 1 bag. Then you would multiply that result by 4 to arrive at the answer.
Know you need to understand what information T=8b gives you. Then the answer is obvious.