Quiz: Which of these expressions correctly shows a product?

lookagain

Elite Member
Quiz

** Which of these expressions in arithmetic and/or high school level algebra
correctly shows a product?
I am not referring to designation of functions or multi-
letter variable terms, names of strings, variables in algebra or computer science.

List all that apply.

I. \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \)a b c d e

II. \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \)abcde

III. \(\displaystyle \ \ \)2(2)2(2)2

IV. \(\displaystyle \ \ \) 2(2(2)2)2

V. \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ 2 \ \pi \ r \ h\)

Last edited:
----> If I find "ab" on a discarded piece of paper,
it's the beginning of the alphabet to me, not a multiplication. <-----

But, you're *not* finding it "on a discarded piece of paper. This is in the
context of math. Don't make up a situation to which it doesn't apply.

But if it was a*b, then I'd know it was a multiplication.

Then review your pre-algebra to elementary algebra. "ab" is just as much
a product as "xy" is, which is correct as a product.

Incorrect. Of course a(b) means the product of a and b,
as well as ab.

a(b) can also mean function a (may be acceleration) as a function of variable 'b' - it's all matter of context.

In the beginning, I was confused like lill johnny (Denis's friend). I saw 2√2 meant 2*√2 but 2\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{4}\) meant 2 + \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{4}\)

In computer language (I hope by "math" you included that) - abcde will just mean a string of characters, no multiplication will be implied, even you had defined a = 5, b = 32, etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
a(b) can also mean function a (may be acceleration) as a function of variable 'b' - it's all matter of context.[/tex]

In computer language (I hope by "math" you included that) - abcde will just mean a string of
characters, no multiplication will be implied, even you had defined a = 5, b = 32, etc..

** But here is the logic of it. If expression X can have quality Y or it can have quality Z,
it is not wrong to state it has quality Y.

I did not state that those expressions were exclusively for multiplication.

**Despite certain people not getting past this, I made edits in my original post. It's not
a change in information, but the information should help those users for which I found
my instructions to be already unambiguous.

Last edited:
Ask me if I care...
Get lost! And don't come back on the thread, Denis, because you're acting as an idiot.
Denis said:
I just fast-tracked myself to being an idiot. I could have made ahelpful contribution, but I chose to be an idiot. I'll never learn,though, because I have arrested development.

Last edited:
** Which of these expressions in arithmetic and/or high school level algebra
correctly shows a product?
I am not referring to designation of functions or multi-
letter variable terms, names of strings, variables in algebra or computer science.

List all that apply.

I. \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \)a b c d e

II. \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \)abcde

III. \(\displaystyle \ \ \)2(2)2(2)2

IV. \(\displaystyle \ \ \) 2(2(2)2)2

V. \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ 2 \ \pi \ r \ h\)

Solutions:
---------------

II, III, IV

The others are meaningless. Spaces between characters stops it from being a product,
and "juxtaposition" does not count.

Last edited:
What you would like to do is to get an equation of the form
a B2 + b B + c = 0
where a, b, c may be, in themselves, complicated expressions but don't depend on B. You can then use the quadratic formula. So, collect terms and you have
(p2C2 - p2 - C2) B2 + (2AC) B + (p2 - p2C2 - A2) = 0

The above equations are never correct as typed/written. It's laziness and incompetence to post them as such above.

Here are the corrections below.

aB2 + bB + c = 0
where a, b, c may be, in themselves, complicated expressions but don't depend on B. You can then use the quadratic formula. So, collect terms and you have
(p2C2 - p2 - C2)B2 + (2AC)B + (p2 - p2C2 - A2) = 0

Refer to this for a partial idea of correct spacing:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/t...f-these-expressions-correctly-shows-a-product

Solutions:
---------------

II, III, IV

The others are meaningless. Spaces between characters stops it from being a product,
and "juxtaposition" does not count.

I'm a little slow and need your guidance. How much space is required between characters to denote a product?

space.png

I'm a little slow and need your guidance. How much space is required between characters to denote a product?

space.png

Daon - you be looking for a fight?? stop instigating!!!

DISCLAIMER: Beer soaked rambling/opinion/observation/reckoning ahead. Read at your own risk. Not to be taken seriously. In no event shall the wandering math knight-errant Sir jonah in his inebriated state be liable to anyone for special, collateral, incidental, or consequential damages in connection with or arising out of the use of his beer (and tequila) powered views.
Daon - you be looking for a fight?? stop instigating!!!
Come now Sir Khan, let Sir Daon have his duel.
Sir lookagain has after all been picking on just about everyone like a bully.
He even called for my head once (I don't even recall ever crossing him). But being on a honeymoon with Lady Absinthe, I forgave him and declared my love for him just the same.
Now Sir Daon saw his opening and decides to call him out.
Funny thing about bullies is that they always back off when somebody their size stands up to them.

Last edited: