Determine the number of primitive roots modulo n for n = 625.

warwick

The number a is a primitive root if ordn(a) = ϕ(n) and ordn(a) = k for ak ≡ 1 (mod n) where k is the smaller positive integer.

For a prime number n, it's easy to find the number of primitive roots with the Euler function ϕ(n) = n - 1.

For n = 625, the order is ϕ(625) =
ϕ(54) = 53*4 = 500. (oops!)

Last edited:
\(\displaystyle \phi(5^4)\ =\ 5^3\cdot4\ =\ 500\), not 600.

Hint: Since 625 is a prime power, the integers mod 625 have a primitive root; therefore the multiplicative group of the ring of integers mod 625 is cyclic of order \(\displaystyle \phi(625)=500\). Thus the problem is equivalent to finding the number of generators of a cyclic group of order 500.

Last edited:
\(\displaystyle \phi(5^4)\ =\ 5^3\cdot4\ =\ 500\), not 600.

Hint: The multiplicative group of the ring of integers \(\displaystyle \mod n\) is cyclic of order \(\displaystyle \phi(n)\) so basically you want to find the number of generators of a cyclic group of order \(\displaystyle \phi(n)\).

Well, with smaller numbers it's easy to compute a primitive root with a calculator and then use the coprime powers (with respect to n) to find the rest of the primitive roots.

You don't need to compute the primitive roots. You only want to know how many primitive roots, and this is the same as the number of generators of a cyclic group. If a cyclic group has \(\displaystyle m\) elements, how many generators does it have?

You don't need to compute the primitive roots. You only want to know how many primitive roots, and this is the same as the number of generators of a cyclic group. If a cyclic group has \(\displaystyle m\) elements, how many generators does it have?

However many group elements are coprime with m. So I need to find out how many numbers are between 1 and 500 are coprime with 500.

So I need to find out how many numbers are between 1 and 500 are coprime with 500.

Exactly! That's what I was talking about. The number of generators of a finite cyclic group is the number of elements whose order is coprime with the order of the group.

So, given an integer \(\displaystyle m > 1\), the number of integers between \(\displaystyle 1\) and \(\displaystyle m\) coprime with \(\displaystyle m\) is \(\displaystyle \ldots\)?

Exactly! That's what I was talking about. The number of generators of a finite cyclic group is the number of elements whose order is coprime with the order of the group.

So, given an integer \(\displaystyle m > 1\), the number of integers between \(\displaystyle 1\) and \(\displaystyle m\) coprime with \(\displaystyle m\) is \(\displaystyle \ldots\)?

Ah. So the number of primitive roots of an appropriate, non-prime integer is ϕ(ϕ(n))? That result actually seems familiar; I suppose that I simply overlooked or forgot about it. Heh.

Ah. So the number of primitive roots of an appropriate, non-prime integer is ϕ(ϕ(n))?.

That's right. :smile: Note however that not every integer \(\displaystyle n\) has primitive roots mod n: the only ones that do are of the form \(\displaystyle 2,\,4,\,p^k,\,2p^k\) where p is an odd prime. For example, 12 has no primitive roots mod 12. The integers coprime to 12 are 1, 5, 7, 11 (\(\displaystyle \phi(12)=4\)) and \(\displaystyle 1^2\equiv5^2\equiv7^2\equiv11^2\equiv1\mod12\). Nevertheless, IF n has primitive roots mod n, THEN the number of primitive roots is \(\displaystyle \phi(\phi(n))\).