Learning techniques v. learning technology

f(x)

Generated by this thread:

Converting from fractions to decimals is less of a skill and more of a calculation.
I always use the f --> d button on my scientific calculator.
It's really not too complex.
Your question is really general, so if you ask some specific questions I may be able to help with greater ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey f(x), math is not learning which button to press;
math is learning how to NOT press buttons...get my drift?
I get your drift, but it's drifting me towards something called laughing.
We are an extremely technology based world. Computer programs, calculators, machinery...we rely on technology. And rightfully should. While teachers stand by the fact that math is developing your thinking skills, we aren't teaching our kids how we should. We should give them access to all technology possible that they would use in the real world. There's so much to learn. Why learn unnecessary content? Efficiency is a wonderful concept, one learned with experience.

I get your drift, but it's drifting me towards something called laughing.
We are an extremely technology based world. Computer programs, calculators, machinery...we rely on technology. And rightfully should. While teachers stand by the fact that math is developing your thinking skills, we aren't teaching our kids how we should. We should give them access to all technology possible that they would use in the real world. There's so much to learn. Why learn unnecessary content? Efficiency is a wonderful concept, one learned with experience.

I hesitate to derail this topic too much, and if we wish to continue, it may be best to move to the "Odds and Ends" board. However, I feel I need to reply to your post because I don't really agree with your argument. It has some merits, but it is also problematic. Relying on technology is not always a good thing. Every piece of technology we have is fallible. What happens when, for whatever reason, you don't have access to a calculator? As an example, consider what happens at the grocery store when the cash registers are not working. I'm sure you've encountered a cashier who is utterly incapable of making change without the register to do it for them. And that's just embarrassing.

Secondly, I take issue with the phrase "unnecessary content." That's incredibly subjective. Who decides what skills are unnecessary? Here, you appear to be arguing that learning how to convert between fractions and decimals (and vice versa) is unneeded because you have a calculator that can do it for you. But, speaking as someone who learned how to do it by hand, I can tell you that most of the time, I can do the mental calculations far faster than I could get out a calculator and punch in the problem.

I hesitate to derail this topic too much, and if we wish to continue, it may be best to move to the "Odds and Ends" board. However, I feel I need to reply to your post because I don't really agree with your argument. It has some merits, but it is also problematic. Relying on technology is not always a good thing. Every piece of technology we have is fallible. What happens when, for whatever reason, you don't have access to a calculator? As an example, consider what happens at the grocery store when the cash registers are not working. I'm sure you've encountered a cashier who is utterly incapable of making change without the register to do it for them. And that's just embarrassing.

Secondly, I take issue with the phrase "unnecessary content." That's incredibly subjective. Who decides what skills are unnecessary? Here, you appear to be arguing that learning how to convert between fractions and decimals (and vice versa) is unneeded because you have a calculator that can do it for you. But, speaking as someone who learned how to do it by hand, I can tell you that most of the time, I can do the mental calculations far faster than I could get out a calculator and punch in the problem.
You seem to be missing a few things:
A. I am quite capable of doing the mental calculations.
B. Perhaps you are slow at entering data into a calculator.

If you don't have access to a calculator, you have a problem. This technology then has to be more wide spread.

The school board decides what skills are necessary, and they do a very, very poor job of doing so. We should probably halt this argument. Feel free to PM me.

You seem to be missing a few things:
A. I am quite capable of doing the mental calculations.
B. Perhaps you are slow at entering data into a calculator.

If this snarkiness is the best that you can muster, to argue your point, then you have already lost the argument.

We should probably halt this argument.

Why? Do you have concerns about your additional thoughts on the matter being exposed to the light of day?

:cool:

We do not, in general, teach 2 + 5 = 7 for calculating the addition problem only.

It is only a step.

How do you put in calculator (easily accessible one) 2*x + 5*x = 7*x.

Sometimes calculators (or external tools such as slide-rules) are expedient. Such as trying to calculate √2 * π = ?

I can estimate that to be 4.44 very quickly, without calculator, and that is most of the time good-enough.

My point is - when we learn to build a house we may not see the point of learning to nail 2 x 4 perpendicularly. But if you cannot do that quickly without the assistance of "helping tools" - you will not make your living as a carpenter.

The school board decides what skills are necessary, and they do a very, very poor job of doing so.

Actually, each State is responsible for deciding what skills are required for graduation. To begin learning about school board responsibilities, you could start with a summary.

There is a lot of science-based empirical data, as well as on-going neurological and psychological research, pertaining to how students learn mathematics best and the curriculum for producing well-rounded, innovative and productive citizens. If you are passionate about how mathematics ought to be taught, I would recommend taking the free on-line course at Stanford University, 'How to Learn Math: For Students' (a self-paced course; the current session is open through 09-30-2015), presented by professor and researcher Jo Boaler.

Cheers :cool: