Help with a problem

emistar333

Hi, can someone please explain to me why this problem should have a positive answer? I am doing my homework from an online class. The answers are provided, so I know the answer should be positive, but I am confused as to why it should be positive. I thought the answer should be negative because the exponent on the denominator is an odd number. Shouldn't that make the 4 negative? I would greatly appreciate some clarity. Thanks so much.

Here is the problem I'm supposed to simplify:

(-2x4y3)2 / (-3x5y7)3

My work:

= 4x8y6 / -27x15y21

I have it simplified to:

= -4 / 27x7y15

Last edited:
Hi, can someone please explain to me why this problem should have a positive answer? I am doing my homework from an online class. The answers are provided, so I know the answer should be positive, but I am confused as to why it should be positive. I thought the answer should be negative because the exponent on the denominator is an odd number. Shouldn't that make the 4 negative? I would greatly appreciate some clarity. Thanks so much.

(-2x4y3)2 / (-3x5y7)3

My work:

= 4x8y6 / -27x15y21

I have it simplified to:

= -4 / 27x7y15

Because Darth Vader invaded your realm and, as those of evil intent tend to do, tried to turn all that was positive into negative (and vice versa). Fortunately Sir stapel, a long time honorary member of the Jedi Knights, has thwarted Darth Vader again and allowed light to shine upon the solution so that the proper rendering may be accomplished.

Because Darth Vader invaded your realm and, as those of evil intent tend to do, tried to turn all that was positive into negative (and vice versa). Fortunately Sir stapel, a long time honorary member of the Jedi Knights, has thwarted Darth Vader again and allowed light to shine upon the solution so that the proper rendering may be accomplished.

It is Dame Stapel - as far as I know.....

(-2x4y3)2 / (-3x5y7)3

My work:

= 4x8y6 / -27x15y21

I have it simplified to:

= -4 / 27x7y15

emistar333, your second two denominators must be amended to have
grouping symbols around them:

(-2x4y3)2/(-3x5y7)3

= 4x8y6/(-27x15y21)

= -4/(27x7y15)

= \(\displaystyle \ \dfrac{-4 \ }{ \ 27x^7y^{15} \ }\)