Normal Distribution and p-test

Steg14

Hi, using excel I have generated a thousand random probabilities and then using a known mean and SD I have found 1000 corresponding Xs. If I want to find the probability of X < 10 can I count up all of the times X is less than 10 and then divide by 1000 (the sample size)? Also do I need to run a p-test on this? Thanks.

Hi, using excel I have generated a thousand random probabilities and then using a known mean and SD I have found 1000 corresponding Xs. If I want to find the probability of X < 10 can I count up all of the times X is less than 10 and then divide by 1000 (the sample size)? Also do I need to run a p-test on this? Thanks.

For which set of values do you want to know the answer? If you want the answer for the sample set of 1000, yes just do the count and divide by 1000. No tests of any kind need be done.

If you want the answer for the underlying distribution, then the count method is just an approximation to the answer for the underlying distribution. As far as a p-test goes, what do you want to test?