Student posts exercise, gets reply, then asks content to be erased. Thoughts?

stapel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've all seen it in the past:

A student posts something, usually a lengthy exercise, and asks for help. Once the full solution (or nearly so) has been provided, the student erases his/her original post, leaving it blank -- and leaving the rest of us wondering why s/he didn't want anybody seeing what s/he'd posted. Was the poster not supposed to be getting help? Was this a "do it yourself, or provide credit for any assistance you got" assignment? Was it a contest that we just "helped" the "student" to "win"?

This happened again recently, and the original poster contacted me via private message, asking that the quote of his/her original post (from within a reply) be deleted. The poster says that s/he "forgot" that students weren't supposed to post this stuff online. The poster "remembered" after getting caught by the school. Now s/he wants the evidence erased, claiming that the college wants it taken down.

Thoughts?

Thanks. ;)

A student posts something, usually a lengthy exercise, and asks for help. Once the full solution (or nearly so) has been provided, the student erases his/her original post, leaving it blank -- and leaving the rest of us wondering why s/he didn't want anybody seeing what s/he'd posted. Was the poster not supposed to be getting help? Was this a "do it yourself, or provide credit for any assistance you got" assignment? Was it a contest that we just "helped" the "student" to "win"?

This happened again recently, and the original poster contacted me via private message, asking that the quote of his/her original post (from within a reply) be deleted. The poster says that s/he "forgot" that students weren't supposed to post this stuff online. The poster "remembered" after getting caught by the school. Now s/he wants the evidence erased, claiming that the college wants it taken down.

Thoughts?

Thanks. ;)

In general I think the quoted post should be left up to present both the problem and solution. If the college wants it taken down because of copyright infringment or whatever, let them write the admin here.

Thoughts?

Thanks. ;)

We can soft-erase the answer - but leave the original post (question) intact, if the college contacts us directly.

My opinion....