Concept problem in integration with u-substitution

AjitZK

Question:

attachment.php

Solution:

attachment.php

I was working on question 10a trying to get the first required proof. However, I couldn't do it and checked the solution. The red arrow I have drawn on the solution shows what I have difficulty in understanding. Why can (k-u) become (k-x) when u=k-x? Thank you in advance and have a good day.

Attachments

• M2 problem.jpg
    M2 problem.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 12
  • M2 problem solution.jpg
    M2 problem solution.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 12
Question: ...
Solution:

attachment.php

I was working on question 10a trying to get the first required proof. However, I couldn't do it and checked the solution. The red arrow I have drawn on the solution shows what I have difficulty in understanding. Why can (k-u) become (k-x) when u=k-x? Thank you in advance and have a good day.

The short answer is they are dummy variables so you can call them anything you want to. That is
\(\displaystyle \int_a^b\, f(x)\, dx\, =\, \int_a^b\, f(u)\, du\, =\,\int_a^b\, f(t)\, dt\, =\,\int_a^b\, f(v)\, dv\, =\, ...\)

The longer answer is to again make another substitution letting (a different) x=u so dx=du; when x=0, u=0; ...

Thank you!

So, as it is only a dummy variable, it can be used like that. I understand in that case. Thank you!