Random Number Applet

hatekhaos

Hi there, I am taking a statistics course online, I am currently stumped in trying to figure out what needs to be done with this problem.

"Consider the number of customers waiting in line to order at a fast-food outlet. Use the Random Numbers applet to simulate this data set by setting the minimum value equal to 0, the maximum value equal to 99, and the sample size equal to 30. Explain what the numbers in the list produced by the applet represent in the context of the problem. Do the numbers produced by the applet seem reasonable? Explain."

This is the assignment that needs to be done.
I do not need the answer I would just like to know what am I suppose to be solving?
I did the random number generator with the sample of 30: What should the numbers be representing? Could be age of people on the line, money they spend? I just need some guidance or a similar problem solved so I can figure this one out.
Thank You

Hi there, I am taking a statistics course online, I am currently stumped in trying to figure out what needs to be done with this problem.

"Consider the number of customers waiting in line to order at a fast-food outlet. Use the Random Numbers applet to simulate this data set by setting the minimum value equal to 0, the maximum value equal to 99, and the sample size equal to 30. Explain what the numbers in the list produced by the applet represent in the context of the problem. Do the numbers produced by the applet seem reasonable? Explain."

I do not need the answer I would just like to know what am I suppose to be solving?
I did the random number generator with the sample of 30: What should the numbers be representing? Could be age of people on the line, money they spend? I just need some guidance or a similar problem solved so I can figure this one out.
Thank You

Without more information I am like you. There is no indication of what the numbers stand for and could be, as you say, the age of the people in the line or the money they spent.

On thing you can check though, assuming the applet is a uniform random number generator, is that the average of the random numbers should be around 49.5 and,if you look at the ordered list of random numbers, the average difference between the numbers should be about 3.3 [that is they should be spread out fairly evenly between 0 and 99, so 99/30=3.3].

Without more information I am like you. There is no indication of what the numbers stand for and could be, as you say, the age of the people in the line or the money they spent.

On thing you can check though, assuming the applet is a uniform random number generator, is that the average of the random numbers should be around 49.5 and,if you look at the ordered list of random numbers, the average difference between the numbers should be about 3.3 [that is they should be spread out fairly evenly between 0 and 99, so 99/30=3.3].

Thanks for the feedback. I will post an explanation once one is given in the class. I wasn't sure if I was overlooking or didn't understand something.

Thank You

Your problem states:

"Consider the number of customers waiting in line ..."

I would venture the numbers 0 (nobody is waiting) to 99 indicate that (#of people waiting in queue).