Geometry: Graphing problem: A carnival ride consists of four circular cars

Charris6151

A carnival ride consists of four circular cars - a b c d - each of which spins about at its center point The center points of cars a and b are attached by a straight beam as are the center points of c and d The 2 beams are attached at their midpoints by a rotating arm.
A plan for the ride uses coordinate plane in which each unit represents one meter. In the plan, the center of car A (-6,-1) and B (-2,-3) and C (3,4) and D (5,0). Each car has a 3m diameter

the manage of the carnival wants to place a fence around the ride. Describe the shape and dimensions of the fence that will be appropriate to enclose the ride. Justify your answer.

I I was able to graph the ride. But unsure how to determine the fence
would it be a circle? How far out would it need to be with the rides rotating?
I'm lost!!! Please help!!
My teacher is not helpful...

Last edited by a moderator:
A carnival ride consists of four circular cars, A, B, C, and D, each of which spins about at its center point. The center points of cars A and B are attached by a straight beam, as are the center points of C and D. The two beams are attached at their midpoints by a rotating arm. The plan for the ride uses a coordinate plane in which each unit represents one meter. In the plan, the center of car A is located at point (-6, -1); similarly, B = (-2, -3), C = (3, 4), and D = (5, 0). Each car has a 3-meter diameter.

The manager of the carnival wants to place a fence around the ride. Describe the shape and dimensions of the fence that will be appropriate to enclose the ride. Justify your answer.
The above is my corrected version of the exercise, with proper spelling, punctuation, etc. If my version is an incorrect interpretation, kindly please reply with clarification.

I was able to graph the ride. But unsure how to determine the fence
You have a picture of the cars, and you know that they'll be rotating about the center point, so you can sketch the paths of each of the cars. What shape do you get? ;)

The above is my corrected version of the exercise, with proper spelling, punctuation, etc. If my version is an incorrect interpretation, kindly please reply with clarification.

You have a picture of the cars, and you know that they'll be rotating about the center point, so you can sketch the paths of each of the cars. What shape do you get? ;)

Well I was assuming a circle but didn't want to assume so that's why I asked for help! I also needed help with the dimensions....I wouldn't have asked if I understood geometry. And we have not been taught yet how to sketch the paths but Thanks anyway

Well I was assuming a circle but didn't want to assume so that's why I asked for help!
Try following the suggestion.

I also needed help with the dimensions.
Until we know what is the definition of "appropriate", there is no way to find "the" answer. (Is there supposed to be space for the ride's operator to move around? If so, how much space? Or is the fence supposed to be right up against the edges of the ride, to ensure nobody tries to get off or on while the ride is in motion? Or something else?) The best one could do is to provide "an" answer, with justifications for whatever answer one determines.

In any case, "the dimensions" will depend upon the shape.

I wouldn't have asked if I understood geometry. And we have not been taught yet how to sketch the paths....
You have your drawing of the centers of the cars and the center of the ride. You have the given description of their motions. Take your pencil and roughly (that is, not exactly, but enough to give you a general idea of what's going on) draw on that drawing (on your sheet of paper) where the cars will go when the ride is running. Then roughly draw where the "outside" is; that is, where people (or things) could be placed such that they would be very close to the ride, but would never be hit by the cars. What shape do you get? ;-)