Having trouble with rules of counting (like ways to make sets of 3 from 6)

Dr Fua

I'm kinda down since i have been having trouble taking on rules of counting (permutations & combinations) exercises like finding the # of ways a three-digit numbers can be formed from 0, 2, 5, 6, and 9 then finding how many are even then odd. can i get any tips in tackling questions like these?

note: already answered it btw, but i really had a hard time figuring out........... answer is (48, 16, 32) right??? *not sure

I'm kinda down since i have been having trouble taking on rules of counting (permutations & combinations) exercises like finding the # of ways a three-digit numbers can be formed from 0, 2, 5, 6, and 9 then finding how many are even then odd. can i get any tips in tackling questions like these?

note: already answered it btw, but i really had a hard time figuring out........... answer is (48, 16, 32) right??? *not sure
Maybe
https://www.mathsisfun.com/combinatorics/combinations-permutations.html
can help. A lot of the time it is just a matter of memorizing situations and formulas. As you do more problems and types of problems you eventually begin to understand the subject matter better. I always found that I understood the subject matter of the class I took last semester a lot better when I was taking the class for the present semester.

Rather than just memorizing what formula to use and when, I find it helpful to think about what the formula is doing and why it works. If I wanted to know how many three digits numbers you can make, my line of thought would be something like this:

The first digit can't be 0, but it can be any other digit. So I have nine possibilities. For each of those nine possibilities, the second digit can be anything, including 0. That gives me 9*10 or 90 possibilities. And for each of those, the third digit can be anything. The final result is 9*10*10 or 900 possible three digit numbers.

Now, let's apply similar logic to your problem. You have to make a three-digit number using only 0, 2, 5, 6, and 9. So, noting that the first digit still can't be zero, how many possibilities are there for the first digit? And how many possibilities are there for the second and third digits? Now how many possibilities overall? Then for the second and third parts, figuring out how many of those possibilities are even/odd, consider what it means for a number to be odd. Given your limited selection of digits, what must the last digit be in order for a number to be odd? What does that suggest about how many odd numbers there are? And once you know that, you can quickly figure out how many even numbers there are too.

Rather than just memorizing what formula to use and when, I find it helpful to think about what the formula is doing and why it works. If I wanted to know how many three digits numbers you can make, my line of thought would be something like this:

The first digit can't be 0, but it can be any other digit. So I have nine possibilities. For each of those nine possibilities, the second digit can be anything, including 0. That gives me 9*10 or 90 possibilities. And for each of those, the third digit can be anything. The final result is 9*10*10 or 900 possible three digit numbers.

Now, let's apply similar logic to your problem. You have to make a three-digit number using only 0, 2, 5, 6, and 9. So, noting that the first digit still can't be zero, how many possibilities are there for the first digit? And how many possibilities are there for the second and third digits? Now how many possibilities overall? Then for the second and third parts, figuring out how many of those possibilities are even/odd, consider what it means for a number to be odd. Given your limited selection of digits, what must the last digit be in order for a number to be odd? What does that suggest about how many odd numbers there are? And once you know that, you can quickly figure out how many even numbers there are too.

Fine for learning, in fact great for learning but, IMO, horrible for tests unless the tests are unlimited in time.

Why? Khdhart states (abc):
a = 4 (no 0)
b = 4
c = 3
4*4*3 = 48

Seems quick to me...
Strange, it seems as though the formula 4\(\displaystyle \ast\)4P2=4*4*3=48 is what I advocated and ksdart said
...You have to make a three-digit number using only 0, 2, 5, 6, and 9. So, noting that the first digit still can't be zero, how many possibilities are there for the first digit? And how many possibilities are there for the second and third digits? Now how many possibilities overall? ...
The formula looks quicker to me.

Why? Khdhart states (abc):
a = 4 (no 0)
b = 4
c = 3
4*4*3 = 48

Seems quick to me...

just a quick question, if 0 was not among the choices, and was replaced by a something like 1 (1- 10), and the digits may be repeated, would it be correct to do it this way..

a = 5
b = 5
c = 5
5*5*5 = 125

or should i use the formula 5p3 which is 60... im kinda confused...

Last edited:
Strange, it seems as though the formula 4\(\displaystyle \ast\)4P2=4*4*3=48 is what I advocated and ksdart said

The formula looks quicker to me.

Who is that?? Corner .... Corner.... no couch for you .... two mistakes in one day????

Who is that?? Corner .... Corner.... no couch for you .... two mistakes in one day????
Yes, for at least, let's see a missing h=8, so 8 minutes. Please, I'm not sure I can remain upright for more than that and the floor is a hard place to lie down on.