Data translation Question: The manager of a radio program is going to feature six voc

brooks

Hello Teachers/Fellow students

i'm preparing for college entrance tests and i really need help in some "data translation question" ( hope that's ,what it's called:confused: ). i have all the answers available but i need to know how to go about such questions.

To Moderators: You can move this post to appropriate forum because i'm not sure which forum does this question type belong and i apologize for posting more than one question, as the nature of the question compels me to post the all " scenarios"

Thank you for your patience and replies.

The manager of a radio program is going to feature six vocalists M, N, P, A, R, and S – on her hour radio show during the course of one week. She will feature one vocalist on the show each day from Monday through Saturday. The manager must schedule the vocalists for the show according to the following conditions

M must be featured earlier in the week than R
P must be featured on Tuesday
A must be featured the day immediately before or immediately after the day on which N is featured
Q1: if N is to be featured on Thursday, the earliest day on which R can be featured
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday

Q:2 if S is to be featured on Friday , M must be featured on
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday

Q:3 if A is to be featured on Thursday , the latest day on which M can be features is
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday

Q4: which of the following vocalist can be featured on Monday
( N, A, R, S)

Q:5 If S is to be featured on Thursday, which of the following is true
M must be featured on Wednesday,
N must be featured on Saturday
A must be featured exactly 2 days after R is featured
R must be featured on Wednesday
R must be featured later in the week than S

Generally, when working logic puzzles like this, the best method is to read the clues and eliminate possibilities until you're left with the solution. We are given three clues to help us answer the questions:

1. M must be featured earlier in the week than R
  2. P must be featured on Tuesday
  3. A must be featured the day immediately before or immediately after the day on which N is featured
Let's focus on question number one for now:

Q1: if N is to be featured on Thursday, the earliest day on which R can be featured
Clue 1 mentions R, so let's see what information we can get from that. We're told that M must be on the show before R. Are there any day(s) we now know R cannot be featured? Clue 2 tells us that P must be featured on Tuesday, so we also know that R cannot be featured on Tuesday. From the question, we know N must be featured on Thursday. And finally Clue 3 tells us that A must be featured either directly before or directly after N. Which days are those? Putting everything together, which day(s) do we know that R cannot be featured? Which day(s) are left? Of these day(s), which is the earliest?

If you apply a similar line of thinking to the other questions, I think you'll find the answers. If you get stuck again, that's okay, but when you reply back please include any and all efforts you made, even if you know they're wrong. Thank you.