Precalculus: Represent the sequence -3, 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21 using sigma notation.

Sarahsally

My son and I are currently working on his Precalculus math homework. We are both incredibly stuck.

"Represent the sequences using sigma notation in at least two different representations.
1. -3, 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21."

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Precalculus Homework Help

I have been doing pretty well with Sigma notation, but then I got to one question on a quiz that absolutely stumped me.
"Represent the sequences using sigma notation in at least two different representations.

My understanding of Sigma leads me to believe that the numbers plugged into the equation must be consecutive, but I haven't found any consecutive numbers that lead to the sequence above.

My son and I are currently working on his Precalculus math homework. We are both incredibly stuck.

What is "sigma notation" for sequences?

If sequence is partial sums then...

nth partial sum is given by,

\(\displaystyle \text{-7 + }

\sum _{k=1}^n 4\)

Last edited:
He is currently taking an online class and there is no textbook provided. He does have some notes but this was definitely not in it.

In that case, a search (e.g. through Google) of the key-word would be advised.

By the way, your son should ask for help directly.

What does your text-book say?
He is currently taking an online class and there is no textbook provided. He does have some notes but this was definitely not in it.
Then your son may need to have a serious talk with the department, letting them know that the class is being tested over material which their instructor has not covered. This is irresponsible, and possibly fraud.

Many of us have learned, from hard experience, that attempting to "speak" through a "translator" who doesn't "know the language" is doomed to end badly. So your son then also needs to do some online research, since it is not reasonably feasible to attempt to (1) figure out what all may have been skipped in the "classroom" and then (2) replace the missing hours of lecture content. He can get started with lessons like this, and use Google to find loads more lessons.

Once he has studied at least two lessons, please have him attempt the exercise. If he gets stuck, please have him reply with a clear listing of his thoughts and efforts so far, at which point we can begin to work with him. Thank you! ;)

another way

nth partial sum is given by,

\(\displaystyle \text{-7 + 4}

\sum _{k=1}^n 1\)

Note that

\(\displaystyle \text{n = }

\sum _{k=1}^n 1\)

and

Sn = 4n-7

Last edited:

First 'Sigma notation' as I understand it: The capital sigma stands for sum, i.e.
\(\displaystyle \Sigma_1^n\, a_n\, =\, a_1\, +\,a_2\, +\,a_3\, ...\, +\,a_n\)

So, lets look at the sequence from the standpoint of Sigma notation
\(\displaystyle \Sigma_1^1\, a_n\, =\, -3\)
\(\displaystyle \Sigma_1^2\, a_n\, =\,\, 1\)
\(\displaystyle \Sigma_1^3\, a_n\, =\,\, 5\)
\(\displaystyle \Sigma_1^4\, a_n\, =\,\, 9\)
\(\displaystyle \Sigma_1^5\, a_n\, =\, 13\)
\(\displaystyle \Sigma_1^6\, a_n\, =\, 17\)
\(\displaystyle \Sigma_1^7\, a_n\, =\, 21\)
Given the above what is a1? Now we have
\(\displaystyle \Sigma_1^{n+1}\, a_n\, -\, \Sigma_1^n\, a_n\, =\, a_{n+1}\)
Let n=1. So what is a2? Let n=2. What is a3? Let n=3. What is a4? ... Do you see a pattern?