Series prob: You have two 3-L vessels. 1st contains oil while 2nd contains vinegar.

hhjr

[FONT=&quot]You have two 3 litre vessels. The first contains oil while the second contains vinegar. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You have two spoons, each can scoop out k litres of liquid, and you use the spoons to [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]transfer k litres between each vessel. That is, you take a spoon from one vessel, a spoon [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]from the other and then you transfer their contents over to the other vessel. You mix [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]the vessels thoroughly so that each vessel contains a mixture of oil and vinegar. This [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]process is then repeated any number of times. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The question asks: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]a) let x = vinegar in first vessel and u = vinegar in second vessel [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]show that for n rounds of the game [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]x(n+1) = x(n) - (k/3)x(n) +(k/3)u(n). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]u(n+1) = u(n) - (k/3)u(n) +(k/3)x(n)

[/FONT]

You have two 3 litre vessels. The first contains oil while the second contains vinegar.
You have two spoons, each can scoop out k litres of liquid, and you use the spoons to
transfer k litres between each vessel. That is, you take a spoon from one vessel, a spoon
from the other and then you transfer their contents over to the other vessel. You mix
the vessels thoroughly so that each vessel contains a mixture of oil and vinegar. This
process is then repeated any number of times.

The question asks:

a) let x = vinegar in first vessel and u = vinegar in second vessel
show that for n rounds of the game
x(n+1) = x(n) - (k/3)x(n) +(k/3)u(n).
u(n+1) = u(n) - (k/3)u(n) +(k/3)x(n)
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

Thanks for your response.

I understand that x(0) = 0 and y(0) = 3 to begin with as one barrel is filled with oil only and the other is filled with vinegar.
Moreover, after the first round of the game, I know that x(1) = k and y(1) =3-k it is relatively simple to determine the amount of vinegar that will be transferred from one vessel to the other at this point.

However, I am having a bit of trouble in being able to determine the amount of vinegar that will be transferred in between the vessels after that.

The answer suggests that it would be k/3*x(n), is it because the proportion of vinegar in the vessel is given by x(n)/3 where 3 is the total volume of the vessel, hence if multiplied by k, we will be able to determine the amount of vinegar transferred and received ?

Sorry for not explaining that earlier

so basically i know that x(0) = 0 and y(0) = 3
x(1) = k and y(1) = 3 - k
but not so sure how to continue from there

You have two 3 litre vessels. The first contains oil while the second contains vinegar.
You have two spoons, each can scoop out k litres of liquid, and you use the spoons to
transfer k litres between each vessel. That is, you take a spoon from one vessel, a spoon
from the other and then you transfer their contents over to the other vessel. You mix
the vessels thoroughly so that each vessel contains a mixture of oil and vinegar. This
process is then repeated any number of times.

The question asks:

a) let x = vinegar in first vessel and u = vinegar in second vessel
show that for n rounds of the game
x(n+1) = x(n) - (k/3)x(n) +(k/3)u(n).
u(n+1) = u(n) - (k/3)u(n) +(k/3)x(n)

Let's do some transfer and check:

Let's assume k = 1 litre and vessels hold 3 L fluids but are big enough to hold 4 L.

Then 1 L vinegar is moved from Vv1 to Vo2. I am left with 2 L of vinegar in Vv1.

After mixing, in Vo2, total fluid 4 L and concentration of vinegar is 1/4.

Now move 1 L of this mixture (from Vo2) to Vv1. This mixture has 0.75 L of O and 0.25 L of V. In Vo2 (the mixture left - 3 L) - the amount of vinegar is 0.75 L and and amount of oil is 2.25 L.

So in Vv1 - the amount of oil is 0.25 L and and amount of vinegar is 2.75 L. (Oil concentration 1/12)

Now pick up one litre from Vv1 (11/12 L of vinegar and 1/12 L of oil) and mix it in Vo2.

After mixing - total fluid in Vo2 = 4 liter of which Oil (= 2.25+1/12 = 7/3 L) and amount of Vinegar in Vo2 is (3/4+11/12 = 5/3 L) - so the concentration of vinegar is 5/12 .... and so on....

Look at the progression of the changes in concentrations and

Thanks for your response.

I understand that x(0) = 0 and y(0) = 3 to begin with as one barrel is filled with oil only and the other is filled with vinegar.
Moreover, after the first round of the game, I know that x(1) = k and y(1) =3-k it is relatively simple to determine the amount of vinegar that will be transferred from one vessel to the other at this point.

However, I am having a bit of trouble in being able to determine the amount of vinegar that will be transferred in between the vessels after that.

The answer suggests that it would be k/3*x(n), is it because the proportion of vinegar in the vessel is given by x(n)/3 where 3 is the total volume of the vessel, hence if multiplied by k, we will be able to determine the amount of vinegar transferred and received ?

Sorry for not explaining that earlier
Approaching it from a slightly different direction: Have you had proof by induction yet?

Also, If something (your vessels) holds a 'well mixed' mixture of vinegar (vn) and oil (on) so that vn+on=3, and you take a spoon full holding k from that mixture, how much vinegar will you have and how much oil will you have in the mixture in the spoon [think of proportions]?