a number between .3 and .5; 100's place 5x greater than 10's place; sum more than 11

Barbados

1. I am a number between .3 and .5;
2. Hundredths place is 5x greater than the tenths position; and
3. Sum is more than 11?

Rule one: .4? I suppose it could be anything though.
Rule two defies me. IF the hundredths value was .1 then .1 x 5 = 5, but the tenths position must be between .3 and .5, so that is out. Next consideration, would be .4 x 5= 2.0....nothing. Maybe, .420?
Rule three...it seems I need to figure one and two first.

This will be anything greater than 0.3 (so 0.300000000000001, etc) and less than 0.5 (so 0.499999999, etc).

I will guess that "5x greater than" means "five times as much as". Note that this rule specifies that the number in question has at least two decimal places, but does not, in and of itself, require that the number have only two decimal places.

3. Sum is more than 11?
You've had exactly one number up to this point. What other number are you now summing with the original number?

Since you know that hundreds places (that is, second decimal places) are involved, you know that "the number" cannot be specified from just the first rule.

Rule two defies me. IF the hundredths value was .1 then .1 x 5 = 5, but the tenths position must be between .3 and .5, so that is out. Next consideration, would be .4 x 5= 2.0....nothing. Maybe, .420?
Since the tenths digit must be either 3 or 4, then "five times as much as" must be 15 or 20. Neither seems to make sense.

Have you posted the exercise exactly as it appears in the original assignment? If not, please provide the correct text. If so, please consult with your instructor regarding clarification. Thank you! ;)

3. Sum is more than 11?

Rule three...it seems I need to figure one and two first.
Following what I would consider normal rules, I don't think there is an answer to the problem.

Having a decimal number such that the Hundredth's place is 5 times greater than the Tenth's place only allows for a 1 in the Tenth's place. That is assume a decimal number 0.xyz... with y=5x. The only way for y to be a single digit is for x to be 0 or 1. However x must be 3 or 4. Thus we have reached a contradiction and there is no solution.

Sorry everyone, I submitted this problem with some factual errors and could not change the post because I am new. We did figure it out and it turns in to the teacher today. We did have some fun with her homework. We were both surprised.