6m = 4m x 6m: I cant quite remember the question or answer but need confirmation

butler101

Hi

Yesterday I had an exam. I know this sounds funny as I cant quite remember the question or answer but here goes...

6m = 4m x 6m. what is m. I think this was the question

120 is the answer I think he gave

Can anybody confirm this is a question and answer match or what the question could be for the answer to be 120

Hi

Yesterday I had an exam. I know this sounds funny as I cant quite remember the question or answer but here goes...

Can anybody confirm this is a question and answer match or what the question could be for the answer to be 120

You really want us to figure out the question and the answer and clear up ensuing confusion?!!

m=0

m=0 is the only number that works for m.

Because if m is not zero you can divide both sides by m and get...
4=4x6 which does not make sense.
Therefore m=0

m=0 is the only number that works for m.

Because if m is not zero you can divide both sides by m and get...
4=4x6 which does not make sense.
Therefore m=0

You might want to double-check your logic, Bob. You're correct that m=0 is one solution, although your reasoning is incorrect. I'll leave it up to the original poster to try and reason out why the above is incorrect, and what the other possible value of m is. As a hint, consider the value of only the right-hand side of the equation (i.e. how can you rewrite 4m * 6m?).

120 is not the answer to the question that you posted.

I've seen equations like 6m = 4m(6m) trip some students. They recognize, for example, that each side contains the factor 6m, and so they divide each side by 6m. That approach also leads to the loss of one of the solutions.

ksdhart2's hint implies a good approach; start by simplifying the right-hand side. :)

Last edited: